Turning XP into Server 2k3?

papashex

I followed (with great success) the MSFN guide to converting 2K3 servers to workstations. All I was really after though was the graphic splendor of XP with the disk fault tolerance of 2K3.

Is it possible to enable disk mirroring features in XP?

From Windows XP Help files:

"To create a mirrored volume using the Windows interface

Open Computer Management (Local).

In the console tree, click Disk Management.

Right-click the unallocated space on one of the dynamic disks on which you want to create the mirrored volume, and then click New Volume.

In the New Volume Wizard, click Next, click Mirrored, and then follow the instructions on your screen.

Notes:

To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

You can create mirrored volumes only on computers running Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, or Windows 2000 Datacenter Server.

You need two dynamic disks to create a mirrored volume.

You can mirror an existing simple volume.

Mirrored volumes are fault tolerant and use RAID-1, which provides redundancy by creating two identical copies of a volume.

Mirrored volumes cannot be extended or striped.

Both copies (mirrors) of the mirrored volume share the same drive letter."

All of those helpfiles are copied to your hard drive for a reason you know :)

I had encountered that very same help file, I should have mentioned going through it already.

It states in the help file, mirrored volumes are only available in server versions of windows. While I was impressed with the speed of the server versions, they informed me that my graphics hardware / drivers were incompatible, limiting my options.

The MSFN Guide to converting 2K3server to workstation PROVED Microsoft only tells you what they want you to know. I have successfully run all manner of graphically intensive executive diversions (ok, games) on 2k3 server without a hitch.

My original request for an UNDOCUMENTED method of drive mirroring under XP still stands.