Printer driver problem

Denney

Heya guys. I have a problem installing my printer (or should I say, stopping it from asking me).

Here's the deal... I used my new unattended CD to install Windows XP. Now, my printer is an Epson Stylus Color 480 and the drivers don't come with Windows XP.

I added the drivers to the CD but it doesn't get installed for some reason. When I booted into Windows XP it asked me to install the drivers. I told it where the drivers were but, to my horror, it tells me a required section is missing in the INF file... Now, these drivers are the same ones I've used over the course of the year or so I've had it. I thought maybe it was the CD so I tried my original copy of the drivers, albeit, the same error occurs.

I finally chose to manually install the printer and selected the port, the INF file, name etc. and it installed fine and works without a hitch. The INF file was read right and the files were copied etc.

My problem now is that when I boot into Windows XP it STILL asks me to install the **** printer (although it's already installed). I used to be able to go through the wizard to the end and select the checkbox to not show the wizard again but because the printer is already installed, it automatically assumes that the drivers are there and tries to use them (back to the old error again).

Does anyone know how I can get rid of this message? The printer doesn't show up in the Device Manager but is installed and works fine (even over the network).

My problem is like yours except my printer isn't installed during setup.

When Windows XP is first run, I installed the printer via the wizard using manual setup. After restart, the same wizard is displayed again.

Stupid thing. I'm going to remove the printer drivers from my CD and see it that makes any difference.