[SOLVED!] 98lite on ME - Shell32.dll compatibility

hexagonwin

Hello.

I installed 98lite on Windows ME and used option 1 - replace explorer with the one from Windows 95.

The install went flawlessly and now I'm in a Windows ME environment with the Windows 95 (non-IE integrated) explorer (with IE6 still intact).

However, after the installation the Shell32.dll was replaced by the 95 version and the original has been named to Shell32.w98. The windows default programs that are broken by this modification (msconfig, wordpad, ...) can still be used as 98lite binary patches them and puts the patched ones on the 98lite folder. However, I'm now not able to launch some 3rd party applications such as K-Meleon Goanna or Opera 12 (both with KernelEx 4.5.2019.24). Is there a way to solve this without reinstalling WinME's explorer again? Perhaps by patching win95's explorer.exe to use shell32.w95 instead and leave shell32.dll as it is.

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by hexagonwin

You could compare the original and modified versions, of the patched files. If it isn't too crazy of a patch, you might be able to manually patch those third party programs (they may depend on the newer Shell32/unpatchable). Or, maybe you can redirect them to Shell32.w98, provided it still works.

Isn't there a 98lite option to just remove the IE integration, leaving the WinME shell?

This may not interest you, but there are alternative shells for Windows. And you can even find alternatives to Explorer, for file management. Depending on your aim, this might displace the need for the Win95 shell.

I use Rloews 64bit filesystem patch. For me, this made the Explorer shell non-functional (for most it does not). But I never intended on using Explorer, as a shell/file-manager. I do not miss Explorer.

Thanks for  the reply, awkduck. There is indeed an option to just remove IE integration but I wanted the 95 shell as it felt a bit faster.

Surprisingly, I could actually very easily solve this problem. I first installed the 95 shell in 98Lite. Then I copied the shell32.dll (which is 95's) and named the copy shell32.w95. Then I copied the shell32.w98 (that is me's) and named that copy shell32.dll.

Then I opened the explorer.exe now installed (from 95) in WinHex. CTRL+F, find the string "shell32.dll" with case insensitive option and changed them all to shell32.w95. After reboot my programs and Win95 explorer are all working.

(Note that when I couldn't rename those files I just rebooted to a DOS boot floppy and made the modifications)

Added : After modding these your file open/save dialogs will be broken for most programs. Again open Comdlg32.dll and change shell32.dll to shell32.w95. You don't need to have a separate comdlg32.w95, just keep the 95 variant in the normal comdlg32.dll name.

Edited by hexagonwin

• hexagonwin changed the title to [SOLVED!] 98lite on ME - Shell32.dll compatibility

:rolleyes: Yeah, that is a pretty clean fix. Good job.

There should be an emoji, like the one above, but with embarrassed red cheeks. That way the eye roll is directed at self, and no one else. Though, its pretty silly that I nitpick it.

Edited by awkduck