Dell Wireless 1390 Mini-Card and Windows 98 SE

dearleader

I have installed Windows 98 SE on a Dell Inspiron 6400. Aside from the Unofficial Windows 98 SE/Me USB 2.0 WDM drivers and changes to system.ini to make the system work on more than 512 MB of RAM, this is pretty much a vanilla system. I want to install a driver for the Dell Wireless 1390 Mini-Card in the system. I have tried PROBL3MCHYLD's unofficial driver, but it fails with the following error in Device Manager:

This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10.)
Try upgrading the device drivers for this device.

In addition, I get the following message when the PC boots up:

===Windows Networking===
Your network adapter Broadcom Wireless WLAN Mini-Card (0002) is not working properly. You may need to set it up again. For more information, see the Network Troubleshooter in Windows Help.

The website that I linked above claims this driver is compatible with my wireless card. Is there another driver that I can use?

Have you installed the RAM patch with the "/M" switch as described on the website? It can be found here: https://archive.org/details/PATCHMEM

(remove any MaxPhysPage lines from system.ini after installing the patch)

Have you tried solving conflict issues as described on the website?

What is the full hardware ID of your Wireless card?

Edited by MrMateczko

I have installed the RAM patch and removed

MaxPhysPage=30000

from my system.ini.

There are no conflict issues with the wireless adapter. The only conflict issues are with three devices all titled System board extension for ACPI BIOS and chipset drivers, such as the USB and hard disk controller.

The hardware ID of my wireless card is PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4311&SUBSYS_00071028&REV_01.

In theory, these drivers work. I removed the previous ones by deleting the .INF file and installed the ones you linked manually, and the error disappeared. Device Manager also claims the device is working properly.

I have now upgraded to Internet Explorer 6 SP1 (the last available version) in order to install Odyssey Client, which installed successfully. However, it does not recognise the wireless adapter at all, even though the drivers are installed. The only adapter Odyssey lists is a PPP Adapter of type Unknown.