Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
townsbg

Cannot install Aero Glass

Posted (edited)

I am trying to install Aero glass for win8+ 1.5.8 on a new install of Windows 8.1 embedded pro but I am getting an error message that the program does not support the version of windows that your computer is running. Please advise.

Edited by townsbg

From the download page, do not download the installer.  Download the one below that which says 64 bit Windows.  Extract it to a folder on c drive called Aeroglass, so that you have C:\Aeroglass with all the files in it.  Open Task Scheduler, select import on the right, and select the xml file I have attached, and you have downloaded, then restart.

Aero_Glass.xml

4 hours ago, townsbg said:

I am trying to install Aero glass for win8+ 1.5.8 on a new install of Windows 8.1

Try this one instead...

56FexgH.png

So the most recent versions don't install on 8? I was reading that wrong. Now I have a watermark is the lower right hand corner of my desktop that says Aeroglass for win8.1 with a website and there is a pop up every time I log in. Also there aren't any Aero affects yet.

I'm not sure if it even works on Embedded edition of Windows.

Posted (edited)

How would I do it on any version of 8.1? What about the watermark and the popup? I tried uninstalling the program and then importing that XML but still no aero but I am still getting the watermark and that information popup. Would someone please explain what is going on. Do I have to add to the registry because the program can't do everything on it's own?

Edited by townsbg

1 hour ago, townsbg said:

How would I do it on any version of 8.1? What about the watermark and the popup?

To get rid of the watermark and popup you need a donation key http://www.glass8.eu/donate

To get Aero effects I find using a theme atlas is the easiest way.  Search for and download the Aeroglass gui then search the forums for a theme atlas.  I use this one by @xemnes

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, djmagnifique said:

To get rid of the watermark and popup you need a donation key http://www.glass8.eu/donate

To get Aero effects I find using a theme atlas is the easiest way.  Search for and download the Aeroglass gui then search the forums for a theme atlas.  I use this one by @xemnes

Thank you for that however how do I implement it? I've never done this before so I need to know what to do. I've been playing around with the guide on the aero glass 8.1+ page but I'm not sure what to put to get it to look like 7. I'm noticing some transparency on the inactive windows but not the active ones and it doesn't look anything like the screenshot on that link. It looks weird and incomplete. Could it be conflicting with classic shell?

The website never says anything about an annoying popup and watermark that can only be turned off by a donation. Is there a way to do this for free?

Edited by townsbg

Posted (edited)

Aero Glass 1.4.6 on Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro:

M07zb6s.png

Just installed version 1.4.6 from Aero Glass website, also ticked the option to install Aero Glass theme (which actually means "install atlas image from Windows 8 Release Preview to get the window frames to look like they do on that particular Windows 8 version").

Aero Glass GUI tool (if using Internet Explorer, right-click the link and select "Save target as...", the archive can be opened with 7-Zip, WinRAR, etc.) can be used to customize Aero Glass settings. To change window frame appearance, look through Aero Glass theme atlas thread. Typically, you download the image file (atlas), then point Aero Glass GUI tool to it (see the above screenshot, the first option on the "Theme & appearance" tab). The atlas may come with an additional .layout file, which must be placed in the same folder as the image file itself. It must be made for the Windows version you're using, otherwise the window frame won't appear correctly.

6 hours ago, townsbg said:

I tried uninstalling the program and then importing that XML but still no aero but I am still getting the watermark and that information popup.

You don't need that XML file. No idea why this keeps being thrown around, the Aero Glass installer does install the Aero Glass utility properly and launches it on its own, any further customizations are at the user discretion. You just need to pick the correct version of Aero Glass for your operating system.

For no aero effects problem, you might want to post a screenshot. We had one person here that didn't see aero effects right in front of his eyes... But if there's an actual problem on your end, the file debug.log could reveal something, it's located in AeroGlass folder, usually "C:\AeroGlass".

3 hours ago, townsbg said:

Could it be conflicting with classic shell?

No, they actually cooperate really well. Classic Shell can mark the start menu and taskbar to have blur effect, which is rendered by Aero Glass.

3 hours ago, townsbg said:

The website never says anything about an annoying popup and watermark that can only be turned off by a donation. Is there a way to do this for free?

Legitimately, no. Other methods breach software's license terms and conditions and cannot be discussed here. While popup and watermark aren't mentioned explicitly, it's implied by the following statement here:

This software has been developed in the free time as a private application for educational reasons and only a bit limited (but fully functional) release is freely available to the public.

The third limitation being that it doesn't download debug symbols automatically, which helps Aero Glass continue to operate when certain minor Windows updates are released. This only concerns only Windows 10 users though, Microsoft hasn't changed anything that relates to Aero Glass operation on Windows 8.1 for a long time.

Edited by UCyborg

5 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Aero Glass 1.4.6 on Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro:

Just installed version 1.4.6 from Aero Glass website, also ticked the option to install Aero Glass theme (which actually means "install atlas image from Windows 8 Release Preview to get the window frames to look like they do on that particular Windows 8 version").

Aero Glass GUI tool (if using Internet Explorer, right-click the link and select "Save target as...", the archive can be opened with 7-Zip, WinRAR, etc.) can be used to customize Aero Glass settings. To change window frame appearance, look through Aero Glass theme atlas thread. Typically, you download the image file (atlas), then point Aero Glass GUI tool to it (see the above screenshot, the first option on the "Theme & appearance" tab). The atlas may come with an additional .layout file, which must be placed in the same folder as the image file itself. It must be made for the Windows version you're using, otherwise the window frame won't appear correctly.

You don't need that XML file. No idea why this keeps being thrown around, the Aero Glass installer does install the Aero Glass utility properly and launches it on its own, any further customizations are at the user discretion. You just need to pick the correct version of Aero Glass for your operating system.

For no aero effects problem, you might want to post a screenshot. We had one person here that didn't see aero effects right in front of his eyes... But if there's an actual problem on your end, the file debug.log could reveal something, it's located in AeroGlass folder, usually "C:\AeroGlass".

No, they actually cooperate really well. Classic Shell can mark the start menu and taskbar to have blur effect, which is rendered by Aero Glass.

Legitimately, no. Other methods breach software's license terms and conditions and cannot be discussed here. While popup and watermark aren't mentioned explicitly, it's implied by the following statement here:

The third limitation being that it doesn't download debug symbols automatically, which helps Aero Glass continue to operate when certain minor Windows updates are released. This only concerns only Windows 10 users though, Microsoft hasn't changed anything that relates to Aero Glass operation on Windows 8.1 for a long time.

I previously tried 1.4.6 but not the GUI. The really helps with the settings however I am having trouble with the theme djmagnifique pointed me to. It really doesn't look like 7 and I am getting a strikethough on many of the windows I open including the GUI. On top of that it seems to be cut off on the top and bottom. I'll take a look through that thread and see what else there is.

For the record, and I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear, but I was referring to using other software for the Aero affect and not hacking the Aero Glass. Is there any other such software? I know that we can't discuss hacking software here. Also I may be doing it wrong but Classic shell isn't doing the start menu aero effect as but retaining the system settings.

Aero Glass.PNG

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, townsbg said:

The really helps with the settings however I am having trouble with the theme djmagnifique pointed me to. It really doesn't look like 7 and I am getting a strikethough on many of the windows I open including the GUI. On top of that it seems to be cut off on the top and bottom.

That atlas is made for newer builds of Windows 10, so it doesn't work correctly on Windows 8.1. I have a couple of Windows 7 style atlases for Windows 8.1 here.

5 hours ago, townsbg said:

Is there any other such software?

Aero Glass is one of the kind AFAIK.

Edited by UCyborg
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, UCyborg said:

That atlas is made for newer builds of Windows 10, so it doesn't work correctly on Windows 8.1. I have a couple of Windows 7 style atlases for Windows 8.1 here.

Aero Glass is one of the kind AFAIK.

Thanks those look better. Any idea why classic shell is making the start menu look like a dull grey that really isn't transparent?

It depends on the settings. Start menu color defaults to the one set in Control Panel->Personalization. You can pick different color specifically for start menu in its settings (right-click on start menu orb, choose Settings, then tick Show all settings) on Menu look tab, Override glass color option. Option right above to enable Aero Glass should be ticked as well. You might also want to go through settings on the Skin tab and see if everything checks out.

10 hours ago, UCyborg said:

It depends on the settings. Start menu color defaults to the one set in Control Panel->Personalization. You can pick different color specifically for start menu in its settings (right-click on start menu orb, choose Settings, then tick Show all settings) on Menu look tab, Override glass color option. Option right above to enable Aero Glass should be ticked as well. You might also want to go through settings on the Skin tab and see if everything checks out.

Well that is kind of making it transparent but not the clear setting as it is in 7. Who do I get that?