Configuring my server? help please?

Hi all, broadband should materialise in my area within the next year, and I propose to instate my own server with web facilities etc.

First, an overview of the services I will want to use:

IIS (HTTP and FTP, will also want to install MySQL and PHP)

Windows Media Services

Remote Access

Remote Storage (if this can be done over the net)

Second, Operating Systems.

I have a full copy of 2000 Advanced Server, but would rather use 2003 Server. I currently use a trial copy to get used to the basics. Anyway of getting a dirt cheap license for Standard edition or am i better off using 2000?

The main issue is i need links to getting it all working! I haven't a clue about getting PHP or MySQL to work properly, I have no idea about configuring my domain name to my future IP address using DNS or whatever else.

I can use most of the features I want to use however.

Finally, this is the spec I will use, I hope it will be good enough. I would expect so, as I am currently running my trial on a Pentium 2 350Mhz.

Duron 1.8Ghz, 256MB DDR, Int. GF4 MX 32MB, 10GB HDD (may later be upgraded), 2000 AS or 2003 Standard.

Any links or direct advice is warmly welcomed.

In my view, a licence is expensive for Standard edition, costing about $800 for a single licence. If you're happy with the features provided by Windows 2000 Adv. Server it would be best to stick with it. Try ebay if you're lucky but you will want to make sure it hasn't been activated.

Getting your domain name to point to your static IP is done by going to the Administration options provided by the domain seller, simply edit your "A Name" Record for "www" in DNS to your own static IP, and wait about 24-48 hours for the DNS to propagate.