Extend system partition hyper-v guest

zeezam

I have a windows 2003 installed as a hypver-v guest on a .vhd file.

The system partition is getting full and I want to extend it.

I have added more disk via the hyper-v host but I can't extend the partition on the windows 2003 server.

I have tried with diskpart. I have also tried mounted the .vhd on my windows 7 machine and extended the disk but then it got BSOD when I start it.

Any ideas?

Here is how i do it:

- extend the vhd using hyper-V

- extend the partition inside the vhd :

• if it is the boot partition, the you have two choices: boot with a winpe with diskpart support and do the diskpart ,...., extend or shutdown the vm using this drive connect the drive to another vm (a 2003 is better) and do the diskpart ,...., extend.
  • if it isn't a boot partition and isn't used for pagefile then should be able to extend it using diskpart ,...., extend

For the record the diskpart ,...., extend operation is described there in details.

Edited by allen2

Here is how i do it:

- extend the vhd using hyper-V

- extend the partition inside the vhd :

• if it is the boot partition, the you have two choices: boot with a winpe with diskpart support and do the diskpart ,...., extend or shutdown the vm using this drive connect the drive to another vm (a 2003 is better) and do the diskpart ,...., extend.
  • if it isn't a boot partition and isn't used for pagefile then should be able to extend it using diskpart ,...., extend

For the record the diskpart ,...., extend operation is described there in details.

Before I saw your post this worked for me:

* Extended with hyper-v.

* Filecopy of the .vhd file.

* Mounted .vhd on my windows 7 machine, extended the partition. Unmounted .vhd.

* Created a new hyper-v machine and used the new .vhd.

Thanks!