ISOLINUX and Backtrack5, GDATA

mille535

I am expanding on ISOLINUX multiboot CD to DVD and am having some trouble. This post explains my setup thus far and I will explain which apps I am adding and how.

Here is a list is live cds I am attempting to add to my ISO

• Backtrack 5
  • GDATA
  • BitDefender
  • AVG Rescue CD
  • Panda-Safe-CD
  • Kaspersky-Rescue-Disk-2010
  • Avira

Basically I am trying to take the freeware virus removal tools from DLC Super Multi Boot 2011 DVD and add them to my current CD (now to be DVD). I am thinking it is a problem with my mkisofs command since I am basically copying the .cfg and directory structure verbatim from the DLC disk. Below is my mkisofs command (being run from Windows with cygwin).

mkisofs -o GEAR-DVD.iso -iso-level 4 -N -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table DVD_root

Just for reference here are some of my cfg file entries for Backtrack & GDATA

Backtrack5:

label DEFAULT
menu label BackTrack Text - Default Boot Text Mode
kernel /BT5/casper/vmlinuz
append file=/cdrom/BT5/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper initrd=/BT5/casper/initrd.gz text splash vga=791--

GDATA:

label GDATA
menu label ^1. GDATA
kernel /GDATA/linux26
append ramdisk_size=100000 init=/linuxrc apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=/GDATA/minirt26.gz nomce lang=en_GB.UTF-8

I am also having trouble with a few of the other AVs which is why it leads me to think that it is a mkisofs problem rather that an ISOLINUX problem as well as the fact that both sources where i got these files were also ISOLINUX based. I will attach two screenshots of the errors I get. What do you all think mkisofs misconfiguration, incorrect entries in ISOLINUX.CFG, or something completely different?

post-323994-0-01330000-1305682882_thumb.

post-323994-0-27641300-1305683200_thumb.

Edited by mille535

Update:

tried this mkisofs command with better results but still no love

mkisofs -o GEAR-DVD.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -l -allow-leading-dots -relaxed-filenames -joliet-long -max-iso9660-filenames -D -R -J -T -v DVD_root

post-323994-0-97882500-1305685285_thumb.

Remember *nix is case sensitive.

And there are file systems and extensions. *nix uses Rock Ridge often.

Extract file names from Rock Ridge. ISOBuster free version does read Rock Ridge.

And add Rock Ridge extension to ISO image: -r

In addition keep default names.

DVD_root\live\dbase.dir\

DVD_root\live\GDATA.squashfs

DVD_root\live\modules.squashfs

mkisofs -v -iso-level 4 -r -D -o GEAR-DVD.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -hide boot.catalog -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table DVD_root

Bootmgr is case sensitive at ISO 9660 too. Upper case relating files at hard disk first.

Edited by cdob

Ok I extracted the files from the rock ridge portion of the both disks (DLC2011 and Backtrack5) and used the mkisofs command you suggested and looks like I have the same error in backtrack and gdata. Any other ideas?

I got backtrack working by moving all the files in the original ISO to the root with the exception of the isolinux folder so I am guessing there may be something hard coded into it that looks to the root. Also I am maybe wondering if some of these virus scanners aren't vmware compatible (testing in a blank VM on ESXi so I am going to burn a disk and see which ones work on a real PC and which do not. I don't think it could be something so simple but wishful thinking I guess.

I got backtrack working by moving all the files in the original ISO to the root with the exception of the isolinux folder so I am guessing there may be something hard coded into it that looks to the root.

Yes, some file names are hard coded: /live/GDATA.squashfs Hence the "keep default names"

This directory and file names are searched at boot. If this files are missing, booting fails.

Avoid changing directory and file names. Yes, you may change kernel and initrd, if you adjust isolinux.cfg accordingly.

There are some cheatcodes to set a directory name or image name, example Knoppix

knoppix_dir=dsl BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

G Data BootCD 2012 works in VMware Player. Backtrack5 offers a VMware image to download.

Edited by cdob

I got backtrack working by moving all the files in the original ISO to the root with the exception of the isolinux folder so I am guessing there may be something hard coded into it that looks to the root.

Yes, some file names are hard coded: /live/GDATA.squashfs Hence the "keep default names"

This directory and file names are searched at boot. If this files are missing, booting fails.

Avoid changing directory and file names. Yes, you may change kernel and initrd, if you adjust isolinux.cfg accordingly.

There are some cheatcodes to set a directory name or image name, example Knoppix

knoppix_dir=dsl BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

I will definitely check out the cheatcodes, I was hoping that if I copied the already existing file structure and the boot entries in DLC's cfg files that it should just work--apparently not my case but I am still digging. From where I stand I am still thinking that my mkisofs command is off BUT I certainly do not claim to be an expert so very good possibility that I could be wrong. At this point I'm not sure if I'd be better off downloading all these disks separately and trying everything myself or stick it out with the already established DLC source.

DLC2011 works in VMware Player. Backtrack5 offers a VMware image to download.

I went though and tested everything from the source (DLC cd) and all of the virus scans do work I was just having problems since there wasn't anything on my virtual hard disk, basically I have just been using VMware to test my ISOs.

Edited by mille535

I will definitely check out the cheatcodes

All cheatcodes relates to distribution and version. Different distribution may use different settings.

BackTrack seem to relate to Ubuntu

http://tazbuntu.blogspot.com/2009/07/multiboot-links.html

Cheatcode live-media-path does work.

http://forum.hackfromacave.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=185

http://grml.org/online-docs/live-initramfs.en.7.html

Extract BackTrack 5 to directory DVD_root\BT5\

Use isolinux.cfg

label BackTrack 5 Text Mode
append file=/cdrom/BT5/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper initrd=/BT5/casper/initrd.gz live-media-path=BT5/casper text splash vga=791--

At this point I'm not sure if I'd be better off downloading all these disks separately

Acutally I assumed this already. Don't use security software from third party releases.

Edited by cdob

I will definitely check out the cheatcodes

All cheatcodes relates to distribution and version. Different distribution may use different settings.

BackTrack seem to relate to Ubuntu

http://tazbuntu.blogspot.com/2009/07/multiboot-links.html

Cheatcode live-media-path does work.

http://forum.hackfromacave.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=185

http://grml.org/online-docs/live-initramfs.en.7.html

Extract BackTrack 5 to directory DVD_root\BT5\

Use isolinux.cfg

label BackTrack 5 Text Mode
append file=/cdrom/BT5/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper initrd=/BT5/casper/initrd.gz live-media-path=BT5/casper text splash vga=791--

Very good info and worked like a charm!
At this point I'm not sure if I'd be better off downloading all these disks separately

Acutally I assumed this already. Don't use security software from third party releases.

Yea I realize my mistakes in doing that now. I downloaded all the ISOs from their respective providers and have gotten most of them to work. In working with GDATA it looks like it actually wants a registration code so I am dropping that since we dont own a license to it. I have all but the Kaspersky disk working. I found this post but it related to GRUB4DOS and ideally I would like this to be only and ISOLINUX disk. Digging deeper it looks like this may be an ubuntu gentoo distro similar to backtrack I am going to see what I can find for "cheat codes" for that as well. Edited by mille535

I have all but the Kaspersky disk working.

Extract Kaspersky Rescue Disk to DVD_root\KDR10\

Move file DVD_root\KDR10\livecd to DVD_root\livecd

and move directory DVD_root\KDR10\rescue\ to DVD_root\rescue\

label Kaspersky Rescue Disk
menu Kaspersky Rescue Disk.
KERNEL /KRD10/boot/rescue
INITRD /KRD10/boot/rescue.igz
APPEND root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc looptype=squashfs loop=/KRD10/image.squashfs nodevfs cdroot kav_lang=en udev aufs quiet noresume doscsi

Added:

There is a cheat code subdir= to define a subdir

http://reboot.pro/11063/page__view__findpost__p__97650

Edited by cdob

I have all but the Kaspersky disk working.

Extract Kaspersky Rescue Disk to DVD_root\KDR10\

Move file DVD_root\KDR10\livecd to DVD_root\livecd

and move directory DVD_root\KDR10\rescue\ to DVD_root\rescue\

APPEND root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc looptype=squashfs loop=/KRD10/image.squashfs nodevfs cdroot kav_lang=en udev aufs quiet noresume doscsi

Added:

There is a cheat code subdir= to define a subdir

http://reboot.pro/11063/page__view__findpost__p__97650

Thanks cdob. That didnt work when I press enter on the menu item it just reloads the menu like it cant find something. I'll read more into that reboot.pro link you send me and see what I can find.

That didnt work when I press enter on the menu item it just reloads the menu like it cant find something.

Which isolinux.cfg do you use? Which files and directories does exist?

I attached a screenshot of my directory structure in windows explorer, let me know if you need more. This is the entry that you gave me that's in my cfg file.

I am also going to try it this way right now.

APPEND root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc looptype=squashfs loop=/KRD10/image.squashfs nodevfs cdroot initrd=/KRD10/boot/rescue.igz kav_lang=en udev aufs quiet noresume doscsi

here's basically my whole menu for the antivurs section of my disk stored as antvirus.cfg

LABEL topmenu
MENU LABEL ^Return to main menu
KERNEL /isolinux/vesamenu.c32
APPEND /isolinux/isolinux.cfg

LABEL sysrescue
MENU LABEL ESET SysRescue
COM32 /kernel/chain.c32
APPEND fs ntldr=/BOOTMGR

label AVG
menu label AVG Rescue CD
kernel /isolinux/vesamenu.c32
APPEND /isolinux/avg.cfg

label Avira
menu label Avira AntiVir Rescue System
APPEND /isolinux/avira.cfg

label Boot from BitDefender
menu label Boot from BitDefender
kernel /BitDefender/casper/vmlinuz
append file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/BitDefender/casper/initrd.gz splash vga=791 live-media-path=/BitDefender/casper lang=en

label safecd
menu label Panda SafeDisk 2010
APPEND /isolinux/panda.cfg

post-323994-0-71286600-1305913297_thumb.

Edited by mille535