Force Validation and/or Re-installation of Windows 7 SP1

JerryC

Does anyone know of a way to programmatically validate (and perhaps generate a log of) the files (name/version/build/etc.) that ARE on a system versus those that were suposed to be updated in SP1?

Is there a way to force the re-installation of SP1 (perhaps via some command line option)?

History

After installing Windows SP1 (over a week ago) via Windows Update, I received a dialog that the installation had failed in some way. However, after rebooting, the system showed that SP1 was installed (via Computer - Properties). When I go to look at Windows Updates - Review Update History, the Status column says 'Failed' on 'Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based system (KB976932). I downloaded the SP1 files and re-ran locally...it runs all the way through and then exited with a mesage that said.... 'Windows 7 Service Pack 1 is already installed'. I went back to the MS web site and found there was a 'Readiness Tool' I'd missed earlier, so I decided to download and run that. I seemed to add one item. I re-ran the local SP1 setup and received the same response ('Already Installed). Is it checking 'all the files' before it makes that statement?

At that point I decided to uninstall SP1, but it wouldn't let me...sigh. I also looked at using System Restore, but when I tried, it came up with an error (tried several of them for that install day or before...no dice).

I ran an sfc /scannow command and not everything seemed to be correct (it stated that there were some 'integrity violations' that couldn't all be resolved). Most if not all were 'duplicate ownership' issues that it was 'ignoring'. Not sure what to make of that.

I then checked a few of the exe's, dlls' and all (so far) showed the newer SP1 build versions. Okay, maybe it is installed correctly. Okay, how about installing post-SP1 hotfixes? Prior to the update, I had the RSAT tools installed. When I tried to install a 'post-SP1' hotfix for the GPMC (KB2466373), a dialog window popped up and stated that 'The update is not applicable to your computer'--when it clearly should be. I looked at the files for that hotfix and they are currently at build 6.1.7100.0 and the hotfix is supposed to update it to 6.1.7601.21624. When I tried a few other hotfixes, they installed just fine (KB981704 and KB2460922). On a side-note, I have a server (Windows Server 2008 R2) system that I updated with SP1. The SP1 update ran just fine. Afterwards, I ran all three of the noted post-SP1 hotfixes and they installed correctly. So what gives with my PC?

I know that the OS absolutely was Win 7 RTM... however, I wonder if the desktop OS folks who built the image added the RC version of the RSAT tools. Would that explain it?

If that is the case, then I should probably wait until MS releases the SP1 RSAT tools. Then uninstall the current (RC?) version and add those.

If you're sure the OS was Win7 RTM, then it seems likely someone installed an RC of the RSAT tools (which is odd, considering the RTM package has been available since shortly after Win7 released in late 2009). However, you don't have to wait - uninstall the RC RSAT tools, reboot, and follow Andre's guide here to install the SP1 RSAT tools from the RTM package.