Opera updated itself and now it doesn't run

Guest wsxedcrfv

Guest wsxedcrfv

I let Opera update itself last night, and now when I try to run it, I get this error message:

------------

Failed to load the Unicode compatibility layer OUniAnsi.DLL because:

One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found.

-----------

I have the file OUniAnsi.DLL in my /windows directory. It says version 1.0.0.1, 27,648 bytes, January 7/2011.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Guest wsxedcrfv

Since Opera 10.70, you need to install KernelEx 4.5 Final and to set compatibility of opera.exe to Windows 2000 SP4,

in order to make Opera run in Windows 98 SE/ Me

I've been running KernelEx since version 3.6, so yes, I do have KernelEx on this system (version 4.5). I was using Opera version 11.something without any problems until opera (all by itself) indicated that an update was available. After the update, Opera no longer runs - it just displays that error message.

The file version of opera.exe that I have on my system at this time is 1190, January 26, 2011.

I did not have to set the KernelEx compatibility mode for opera.exe to anything other than the default mode. Setting it to win-2k/sp4 does now allow it to run. I see that I now have opera 11.01. But like I said, I did not have to set any particular compabitility mode for the previous version (11.00 ?).

I did not have to set the KernelEx compatibility mode for opera.exe to anything other than the default mode. Setting it to win-2k/sp4 does now allow it to run. I see that I now have opera 11.01. But like I said, I did not have to set any particular compabitility mode for the previous version (11.00 ?).

I'm sorry but I don't think so :unsure: . No one else has reported to be able to run Opera 11 in Windows 98 SE without KernelEx 4.5 (RC5 or Final) and the compatibility setting.

Xeno86 announce:

We’re proud to announce that Opera 11 which was released today and which is no longer compatible with Windows 9x is working fine with KernelEx 4.5 RC 5.

... In order to run Opera 11, you have to change compatibility mode of opera.exe to Windows 2000 SP4 otherwise Opera will report the OUniAnsi.dll file is missing and won't start.

Last Opera is indeed version 11.01 revision 1190.

Have you tried the compatibility setting with this one?

Guest wsxedcrfv

Last Opera is indeed version 11.01 revision 1190. Have you tried the compatibility setting with this one?

As I stated in my previous post, I did have Opera 11 - presumably 11.00.

And it did run just fine.

And I did not have any particular KernelEx compatibility mode set for it in order for it to run.

I don't use it very much. While I'm not exactly sure which version I had before this update, the date-stamp on the /program files/opera directory is January 7, 2011. That would have been the date that I installed Opera 11. Looking at the opera version history, Opera 11.00 (non-beta) was available on Dec 16, 2010, and Opera 11.01 became available on January 27,2011. So I believe that I did infact have version 11.00 which I installed on January 7, and I recently (2 or 3 days ago) ran Opera to visit a particular web-site, and that's when it must have discovered that a newer version was available.

But during my original installation and usage of version 11.00, I did not have any specific KernelEx compatibility setting for opera.exe. But as you say now - I seem to need to set it for win-2K/sp4 compatibility mode now that I have version 11.01.

Unless ...

If I had set a compatibility level of win-2K/sp4 for the older version opera.exe, and if Opera updates itself and replaces itself with a new version, is the KernelEx compatibility setting for the old opera.exe maintained or applied to the newer version of opera.exe ?

Edited by wsxedcrfv

If I had set a compatibility level of win-2K/sp4 for the older version opera.exe, and if Opera updates itself and replaces itself with a new version, is the KernelEx compatibility setting for the old opera.exe maintained or applied to the newer version of opera.exe ?

If the path to opera.exe is strictly identical (and you don't have reinstalled KernelEx), I think that you will maintain your compatibility settings.

You can check at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KernelEx\AppSettings\Configs

(that is to say: if the new Opera is not strictly at the same path, you must find there the 2 path if you had set a specific compatibility mode for the first also).

Guest wsxedcrfv

You can check at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KernelEx\AppSettings\Configs

(that is to say: if the new Opera is not strictly at the same path, you must find there the 2 path if you had set a specific compatibility mode for the first also).

Hmmm. Strange.

I downloaded Opera_1100_en_Setup.exe on Jan 7, and I recall that I did have to set it's compatibility level to 2K/SP4 for it to run and install Opera. But once it was installed, I don't remember setting c:\program_files\opera\opera.exe to 2K/SP4. When Opera updated itself to 11.01 and then stopped working, I checked the setting for opera.exe and it was set to the default Kex setting. I changed it to 2K/SP4 and it started working again.

The registry key mentioned above does list c:\program_files\opera\opera.exe as NT2K, but that's probably because I had set it that way yesterday in response to your suggestion. If there was already such an entry in my registry for opera.exe then I'm not sure how it got there or why it wasn't working.

I notice that there are Kex settings in that registry key that I don't remember setting, and for programs that I don't have (like seamonkey). Does Kex come with a list of pre-configured files?

I notice that there are Kex settings in that registry key that I don't remember setting, and for programs that I don't have (like seamonkey). Does Kex come with a list of pre-configured files?

Yes. All lines beginning with % or * in particular are added at KernelEx install.

Edited by CharlesF