XP IE8 unattended

Hi,

I been trying to install IE8 into XP for about 10 different try now and can't get it to work through the svcpack method. I started originally with a XP SP0 and integrated sp2 and I had IE as the only item in the svcpack.inf with /passive /norestart /update-no parameter. I'm using VirtualBox for simulation. I see the install status during the GUI setup but it 's still IE6 after the first login...Any idea?

I don't know how much this might help, but I've read it sometimes requires being enclosed in quotes. Though mine works fine without quotes.

Please post the contents of your svcpack.inf by posting it as a code snippet. Perhaps someone will spot the problem.

I don't know how much this might help, but I've read it sometimes requires being enclosed in quotes. Though mine works fine without quotes.

Please post the contents of your svcpack.inf by posting it as a code snippet. Perhaps someone will spot the problem.

;Windows XP
[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
MajorVersion=5
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=2600

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="\i386\SVCPACK"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
IE944036.exe /passive /norestart /update-no

I figured I shouldn't need qchain for now so i left that out (also I'm using Simplified Chinese edition so qchain may not support non-English built)...don't tell me that's the problem? or maybe the BuildNumber should be different?

Some other thing maybe I forgot to say:

For the dosnet file...it shouldn't matter where i put the svcpack item right? and is it normal to have irregular line of gaps? I have about 10 occurrence of different amount of spacing mostly in the beginning throughout the file. I put it under [Directories].

Hi,

I been trying to install IE8 into XP for about 10 different try now and can't get it to work through the svcpack method. I started originally with a XP SP0 and integrated sp2 and I had IE as the only item in the svcpack.inf with /passive /norestart /update-no parameter. I'm using VirtualBox for simulation. I see the install status during the GUI setup but it 's still IE6 after the first login...Any idea?

drixomanbeta, I suggest you look into the nLite sub-forum below and consider an IE8 AddOn. Enjoy, John.

Hi,

drixomanbeta, I suggest you look into the nLite sub-forum below and consider an IE8 AddOn. Enjoy, John.

The thing is there's probably not a chinese addon as i am using a localized system...

oh and is these files and folder case-sensitive? I noticed in the svcpack.inf it's i386 but my folder is I386... although I don't think that would the problem as I saw the IE install dialog during GUI setup...

drixomanbeta, in general there is no case sensitivity. Perhaps you are not interested in nLite and AddOns but there is an AddOn maker (I have not used it), so you could use your localized IE8. Enjoy, John.

@drixomanbeta

for giggles....why not try enclosing it in quotes or try the syntax I am using.

"IE944036.exe /passive /norestart /update-no"

This is what I am using (without quotes):

KB944036.exe /quiet /update-no /no-default /norestart

@drixomanbeta

for giggles....why not try enclosing it in quotes or try the syntax I am using.

"IE944036.exe /passive /norestart /update-no"

This is what I am using (without quotes):

KB944036.exe /quiet /update-no /no-default /norestart

it's interesting...IE 8 just installed properly...but it seem that if I have anything else (sp3, other addon and whatever else) along it just won't work properly...I'm currently in progress of testing if I can add anything else to the setup with IE being the first thing after SP2...hopefully it still works...:|

it's interesting...IE 8 just installed properly...but it seem that if I have anything else (sp3, other addon and whatever else) along it just won't work properly...I'm currently in progress of testing if I can add anything else to the setup with IE being the first thing after SP2...hopefully it still works...:|

For whatever it's worth, mine is the very last item of many hotfixes which I slipstreamed into the installation via Autopatcher (which uses the svcpack.inf method).