Hyper-V (stand alone), sharing folders without password prompting?

Lord Wolf

This is the best place I could find to post this topic since Hyper-V is generally a part of Windows Server 2008, so please move the topic if it should be elsewhere.

I've got a couple of shares set up within Hyper-V so that other computers can access files within those folders. The dilemma I'm facing is that I don't know how to disable the requirement for a username/password to access the shares. If it were a more full version of WS2008, I'd go to the network sharing center and change the settings there. However with stand-alone HV, there is not sharing center to go to. I was hoping someone might know of another way to change the settings so that if a share is set to 'everyone', then it won't prompt for a password (otherwise they need to have the proper credentials).

You would need to enable the guest account on the server, and explicitly provide guest account access to shares and folders (NTFS permissions will still apply, and "guest" is not a part of the "Everyone" group!).

I've done that. As I've found out, it's not possible in the stand alone version (free version from MS) . I may just have to resort to installing an actual core instead of a stand-alone in order to accomplish this.

Thanks for the response.

Edited by Lord Wolf

That could be true, as hyper-v server 2008 core is specifically tailored for running hyper-v only, and not for running other things.

I had asked on another site as well (social.ms) and basically a paid version of Server R2 should be able to do it, even if it's just a core install. The free version (Hyper-Visor or whatever the true name is) doesn't have it since it's just a bare bones product.