win2k svcpack.inf order query & RIS PXE SMP weirdness

Odin

I used the "/integrate:C:\temp\mycdbase" /quiet with a bunch of Win2000 patches. The i386\svcpack.inf file lists the patches (but in reverse order to the integration sequence). This is not exactly what I want. Is the order of integration important ? Is the order in the svcpack.inf important, i.e. does it go strictly top to bottom ?

Is there a logfile I can look at on the resulting installation which would allow me to see the order they were applied ?

I perform the integration in the order of:

* Roll up

* Cumulative

* Critical

* Important

* Moderate

Within each section above they were integrated in the oldest to newest, based on MS bulletin number "MSyy-###" sequence. Which should give me approximate date order.

I ask this because "KB955069.exe /q /n /z" was integrated but after first bootup is still shows as outstanding. So did something else undo the fix ? something I had expected to have been applied earlier.

The svcpack.inf file has the Roll up patches at the bottom of the list (even though it was the first /integrate:C:\temp\mycdbase to be performed on top of a clean Win2000+SP CD media).

Also does it matter if you perform the /integrate:C:\temp\mycdbase on a Single CPU machine or Multi CPU machine ? This is because the RIS PXE install complained that "i386\ntkrnlmp.exe" was missing. Which it is, the original Win2000+SP4 (no patches) CD has the file i386\ntkrnlmp.ex_ but after applying the /integrate (with additional patches since SP4); this file disappears and the file i386\ntkrnlpa.exe appears. The integration process was performed on a 2 CPU Windows 2000 system.

When I started the RIS PXE based installation (on a system with 2 CPUs) I get the error, that it can not load i386\ntkrnlmp.exe over TFTP. "File ....\i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 21. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit." This is very early on in text mode install, before hit F6 for storage drivers. I research the problem and find:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/262268 "Ntoskrnl.exe Could Not Be Loaded" Error Message on PXE Client"

What I then did was disable one of the CPUs and restart exactly the same RIS PXE based installation on the same system and same data on server, and it installed just fine (it loaded "i386\ntoskrnl.exe" according to the TFTP logs). So something is making a choice here.

Note that when I do an RIS PXE based installation of the original Win2000+SP4 CD media there isn't any problem with either 1 or 2 CPUs.

Reading the txtsetup.sif is the most telling over ntkrnl{pa,mp}.exe being related to UP or SMP.

Copying the ntkrnlmp.exe from the original SP4 media into the RIS share fixed the problem. Note the name of the file that is missing in my case is not exactly the same as the one in the KB262268 linked above, but non-the-less I think is serves the same function.

Any thoughts on this one anyone ?

Edited by Odin

Moving the order of KB955069 to the end of the list in svcpack.inf has cured the problem.

Now the question remains, why are the patches applied in the reverse order to which they are "/integrate:" with ? This is awkward.