What is the switch to install an App for All users?

Hi,

I have just joined MSFN.org as this website has been excellent and now I can deploy windows os's including the silent install of apps.

I have a program we use in work called movex developed by IBM. IBM sold us an SMS server to deploy windows os's but it is too complicated.

We have switched to a WDS server and I cannot get movex to install for all users within my batch file?

The movex.msi package when deployed via sms, installs onto the pc for all users. If i use the same movex.msi package and push it out using the batch file it only installs under the local admin profile on the pc and if I log on as another user the program is not listed under -> Start -> All Programs but I want it to be.

I have tried using the switch /USERS=1 to install the msi package for all users but this fails. As you have the same batch file I am trying to work with I was hoping your experience can help me, thanks in advance......MikeRowSopht

example below is:

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Movex

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\Movex\Movex.msi /s

ECHO.

The above code installs Movex silently in the background with all the settings required as per the msi package under the local admin profile only

So instead I tried the below code after some research on google to install a program via a batch file for all users but it didn't work:

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Movex

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\Movex\Movex /s /usersall=1 **( either usersall=1 or users=1 neither worked for me :( )

ECHO.

So my question is have any of you experienced users know how I can install this program for all users via some code in the batch file as I don't want to dive to deep into it if you know what I mean. thanks in Advance.

MikeRowSopht

Windows Installer switch for ALL USERS is 2, not 1 as you have on your batch file.

Example: setup.msi ALLUSERS=2 /qb /noestart

Please note that installer properties is set without a slash ( / ).

Thanks Ajua,

I will try this on Monday when I get back to work, thanks for the reply, so my code should look like this

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Movex

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\Movex\Movex.msi ALLUSERS=2 /s /q

ECHO.

will try it on Monday and let you know how I get on and if it works

HI Ajua,

I have tested this and now the application is installing under all user profiles and not just the local admin profile so you are correct, Thank you very much kind sir.

Now that I have my perfect ISO image I have to find a way to deploy it via Windows Deployment Servies ( WDS ) although from what I have read you cannot deploy an ISO image via WDS and it has to be WIM only?

Perhaps I can install my ISO image onto some hardware and then capture the image via WDS which should capture it in WIM format so I can then deploy the image in WIM format via WDS?

This is an entirely differnt discussion though which I will raise later after more research.

Thanks Again Ajua....

MikeRowSopht