The username or password is incorrect after booting from autounattend.

Hiya,

I have created an autounattend file in WAIK and booted from the Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit disk with the answer file attached.

It is all fine until it reboots and comes up with "The username or password is incorrect"

I am stumped as to what to try next

Thanks for any assitance

Autounattend.xml

Edited by cluberti
Removed product key from XML and replaced with the default key.

Hiya,

I have created an autounattend file in WAIK and booted from the Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit disk with the answer file attached.

It is all fine until it reboots and comes up with "The username or password is incorrect"

I am stumped as to what to try next

Thanks for any assitance

WALKINDAKAT, I hope that is not your real key in the .xml file. If so, I suggest you remove it. Since the PWs for the Administrator are obscured, I cannot tell if they are the same for the autologon and the other. Are they the same? Enjoy, John.

<Value>dgA3ADcAZQBEAFIAYQBDAFAAYQBzAHMAdwBvAHIAZAA=</Value>
<Value>dgA3ADcAZQBEAFIAYQBDAEEAZABtAGkAbgBpAHMAdAByAGEAdABvAHIAUABhAHMAcwB3AG8AcgBkAA==</Value>

It wasn't a default key, that's for sure. I've fixed and re-uploaded the .xml.

Apologies I completely forgot to remove it. Thanks for editing it.

I checked the answer file in WAIK and ended up editing the passwords to all be the same in the file rather than WAIK. They should all have been the same but the masking looked like it wasn't.

It does seem to have stopped the error after testing again. Thanks for the pointer.

It wasn't a default key, that's for sure. I've fixed and re-uploaded the .xml.

Apologies I completely forgot to remove it. Thanks for editing it.

I checked the answer file in WAIK and ended up editing the passwords to all be the same in the file rather than WAIK. They should all have been the same but the masking looked like it wasn't.

It does seem to have stopped the error after testing again. Thanks for the pointer.

A slightly strange one this. I tried using the answer file and the Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit DVD again on a fresh VM and got the same message

I've now edited it again and am trying another build.

I don't understand how it can change the passwords or appear to change them after being used once?

A slightly strange one this. I tried using the answer file and the Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit DVD again on a fresh VM and got the same message

I don't understand how it can change the passwords or appear to change them after being used once?

WALKINDAKAT, that is strange. My AutoUnattend.xml also has obscured PWs (from running WSIM). The PWs are the same but appear different in the XML file. I have used the same file to do several installs on VM with no such problems. I am doing an install right now and will let you know if I see anything strange. Good luck, John.

WALKINDAKAT, that is strange. My AutoUnattend.xml also has obscured PWs (from running WSIM). The PWs are the same but appear different in the XML file. I have used the same file to do several installs on VM with no such problems. I am doing an install right now and will let you know if I see anything strange. Good luck, John.

Still having the same issue. When saving the autounattend to my desktop then checking it, the resulting hashes are different. It also seems to add an = on the end of the hashed password. E.g

Edited by WALKINDAKAT

Still having the same issue. When saving the autounattend to my desktop then checking it, the resulting hashes are different. It also seems to add an = on the end of the hashed password. E.g

WALKINDAKAT, I said earlier that mine were different but I looked again and they are the same. How are you checking your AutoUnattend.xml? I am using Windows System Image Manager (WSIM) and it is what changed my plain text keys to these funny looking sequences of upper/lower case letters with an = at the end. My Administrator PW does not have an = at the end. In the .xml you posted, the PWs are the same. The only difference I can see in what you are doing is that I do not have a <Domain></Domain> in either my account definition or auto logon. Don't know if this s a possible problem. Enjoy, John.

WALKINDAKAT, I said earlier that mine were different but I looked again and they are the same. How are you checking your AutoUnattend.xml? I am using Windows System Image Manager (WSIM) and it is what changed my plain text keys to these funny looking sequences of upper/lower case letters with an = at the end. My Administrator PW does not have an = at the end. In the .xml you posted, the PWs are the same. The only difference I can see in what you are doing is that I do not have a <Domain></Domain> in either my account definition or auto logon. Don't know if this s a possible problem. Enjoy, John.

Hiya

Basically I decided to recreate my file from scratch in WSIM for Windows 7 but used all the same settings but didn't add any local accounts. As I am in a test environment with test passwords I also unticked Tools- unhide secure information to see if this helped

It seems to have worked and I'll post the complete unattend file here tomorrow minus any sensitive info as it works really well now