GPO troubleshooting...

Gekko_uk

Hello All,

I have a 50ish PC network (XP SP2+) connected to a domain.

Network layout is around 10 pcs/switch (10/100) with 1GB uplink back to main 1GB switch that has servers attached.

Servers are 2008R2 domain controller also acting as DHCP/DNS.

I have various GPO's applied to domain, one maps drives, one maps printers and another does Desktop control (background images/restricitons etc).

Every morning when people login 1 or 2 systems (on different switches) will fail to map all their drives, if user restarts they map fine.

It isnt always the same pcs and sometimes it dosent happen at all.

I personally dont think my network is too busy and the server spec is more than enough.... but I am getting annoyed as I cant work out what the reason is?

Can anyone shed some light on what would be causing this or a starting point of where to look to fix it?

Thanks

Andy

You only need loopback if you're applying user settings in a GPO that needs to apply to a user, or vice-versa. Nothing you've said (so far) leads me to believe you're trying to do this, so let's get into specifics. What specific settings are you applying, and from what GPOs? Also, if you're having specific issues (and you seem to know what they are, so you've already won half the battle) it's best to move those into their own GPO and start doing some userenv logging. You do want to be a little more specific though - does the GPO simply launch a logon script that is doing the mapping, or are you using preference policies from a 2008/R2 domain controller to the clients to map the drives? I'm guessing from where you posted that it's the latter, but we need to be clear here.