Office 2007 "save as" issue

Jdietz

Hi

I have an issue in all office 2007 applications such as word, excel...ect

Users can fully access their "my documents" folder (folder redirection is on

and directing to network share)through explorer

perfectly well. However when they try and "save as" a document in an office

app they get

"You do not have access to the folder \\Windows2003server\mydocuments$.

See your administrator for access to this folder."

Some notes. The use can make changes to the documents and use the "save" function. But using "save as" and choosing My Docs gives me the error. Also I tried opening Notepad and having user use "save as"...it WORKS FINE! so only related to office 2007. the user can navigate through My Docs and open Office 2007 doc's with no issues!

Any help or suggestions is appreciated!

Have you looked at a network trace to see what the SMB error was from the server (if any) when the user clicked Save As? If there's a permissions error and the folder is redirected, there should be SMB traffic that you should see when the save attempt is tried (perms should be checked to make sure the file can be saved).

I have not and at my work don't have access to those tools (which sucks..i am deskside support...but i do have someone looking into this for me). You say to look and see if the permissions issue, but if it was the "save" feature should not work either. The document he is using "save" for is located in his my docs, and saves changes fine. Just when using save as to navigate to my docs we get the error.

You're assuming that Save and Save as run through the same code paths in the program, but if that was the case why have two options? The hint is that they likely do not (especially when one loads code from explorer to provide a browsing shell box, and the other does not... hint hint), and given that it's Office (and it's storied history with SMB and oplock issues), I'd be checking into what happened over the wire (especially with redirected profile folders - other apps have issues with this too, like Internet Explorer). Just because it works one way and not another doesn't mean your assumptions are correct (and there's another hint - I suggested a netmon or wireshark trace because there's the likelihood it's an SMB issue if the server on the backend is 2003 or older).

Not sure why a deskside technician shouldn't have access to at least run wireshark or netmon though - that's pretty odd. How do you support your clients if you can't look at a network trace? That's insane ;).