RDP not working : remote controlling a Win7 from XP

Ben_j

I'd like to access my home computer from work. My PC is on Windows 7, but the computers at work ar all running Windows XP. I installed the update for RDP, so that it works with Windows 7, but it still isn't working.

I get an error saying that the remote computer needs an authentication at the network level, not supported by this computer (or something like that).

It does work when I'm at school with my laptop (running Win7).

Edited by Ben_j

Did you checked "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop" box on the Windows 7 ?

That must be something like that. I will check tonight.

The 6.1 RDP client update doesn't update the underlying encryption methods, and Network Level Authentication (needed to connect to a Vista or Win7 machine by default) only exists in Windows XP SP3, Vista, and Windows 7. Given it's not working, it sounds like you're using Windows 2000, a version of XP less than SP3, or you haven't enabled CredSSP access yet on your XP SP3 system as per KB951608). If you are using XP SP3, it would be wise to enable CredSSP access (it's a more secure way of setting up and connecting to another RDP host) as per the linked KB article.

If you want to see if a client supports using CredSSP (and thus will use NLA to connect to another RDP host), open the RDP client, right-click the window title bar, and select "About" - it should say "Network Level Authentication supported" in the About dialog box.