want to install windows 7 32bit and 64bit on same 1tb hdd

ghfreebird

hi,first of all i'd like to say i've got a gigabyte m/b ex58ud4p,intel i7 920cpu,6gb ram,750watt p/s,coolermaster v8 cpu heatsink cooler,1tb wd hdd,all ready have windows 7 32bit ultimate installed and works great! my mother board (in the bios)can be switched from 32bit to 64bit at start up. what i'd like to do is partition the hdd in half and use the first half with w7 32bit as is and install w7 64bit on second half,so i can oc cpu for games and other high speed stuff,and then switch back to 32bit for reg. use. can this be done? need positive info before i try...thank you!

partition, schmartition, that is the old way of doing things. Just an FYI, it is now possible to do this without creating a second partition, via the boot from VHD option. Check it out before you decide.

See Sticky

or a manual with pic's

Oh, and welcome to MSFN by the way. :hello:

Edited by MrJinje

hi, and thanks for your info, but i know about vhd,and don't want to go that way. what i was thinking of was to start computer and at post screen go to bios and change from 32bit to 64bit so screen will boot up w7 64bit from hdd, if the bios reconnizes that there are 2 drives on the hdd. am i heading the right direction?

Explain a little more about this switch you make in the BIOS. I assume it's something new I haven't heard of yet. How does it work and what advantage does it offer. Honestly it sounds like a disadvantage if you ask me. Older motherboards do not require going into the BIOS and can dual boot between x86/x64 using nothing but the Windows BCD.

Second question, is your BIOS partition aware. Normally the BIOS can select the HDD that boots and the HDD MBR takes over from there. How does that work on your Mobo, is it capable of bypassing the MBR and directly loading the secondary partition ?

Edited by MrJinje

hi,first let me say that i've got the newest m/b that has all kind of features you probably aren't aware of. go to www.gigabyte.com, under motherboards, click on ga-ex58-ud4p,in there click onto user's manual,download the pdf,on page 63 you will find hpet mode,,allows you to select the hpet mode(high precision event timer)for your windows vista os(windows 7 is the same as vista). select 32bit mode when you install 32bit,select 64bit mode when you install 64bit windows(default:32bit mode). this m/b is the ultra durable 3,with 2oz.copper pcb, i build this rig about 6 months ago, so by now there are more powerfull m/b that gigabyte has to offer, like the extreme, with heat piping for the north and south bridge with rear exit cooling radiadtor. in the bios it tells you to select boot type(floppy,cd,or hdd), don't know that it will reconnize partitions on drive when it trys to boot once i switch to 64bit mode. or do i have to set up with a raid array with a twin hdd, so that bios will know that there are 2hdd to choose from (one with 32bit and other 64bit).what do you think? or if i had both bits on same drive, at boot up time will bios ask my which bit to boot from once switched to hpet mode? thanks for all your help and it is a pleasure to speak to you.