Explorer Folder View settings aren't retained

smilejack1

I've just re-installed XPPro (SP3), and Explorer won't retain my view settings after I've applied them to all folders. I want the Details view, but it keeps reverting back to Icons.

Notes:

"Remember each folder's view settings" is checked.

I have the most recent Windows updates installed.

I've Googled extensively, and know this is a common problem. I've tried using TweakUI, the Kelly's-Korner tweak, and changing the bagMRU size values.

I'm finding this quite maddening. All help will be greatly appreciated.

Try this No Sniffing hack and see if that doesn't work more to your liking.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\shell]
"FolderType"="NotSpecified"

DISABLE FOLDER CONTENTS SNIFFING

You can prevent Windows from sniffing folder contents and automatically assigning the folder type template. This is done by creating the following registry key using Registry Editor (alternately you can use the Registry fix below).

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Classes \ Local Settings \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Shell \ Bags \ AllFolders \ shell

After creating the above key, create a new String (REG_SZ) value named FolderType and set its Value data to NotSpecified.

NotSpecified value data corresponds to All Items folder type template (See Fig 2 above).

Better run the remove all bags as well. Further reading here turned up this.

Merging the .reg file will set the 'All Items' template for any folders that

don't currently have a view saved with a different template. You can clear

all saved views by deleting the

"HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags"

key BEFORE merging the .reg file. If any folders open with a different

template after clearing the 'Bags' key & merging the .reg file, they most

likely have a template specified via their desktop.ini file.

Edited by MrJinje

As a not-particulary-sophisticated user, I'm deeply troubled to report that I am unable to attempt the fixes you recommended because "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings" doesn't currently exist on my machine. I hope this is not proof that Bill Gates is the Devil, but fear that it is.

It occurs to me, again as a not-particulary-sophisticated user, whether this is because, using nLite, I installed Docs & Settings on D:\...

This bright white background is killing my soul. LOL, sorry dude, disregard my post, that is some windows 7 advice, I'll have to dig a little deeper for XP

Edited by MrJinje

I searched. I was unable to find a solution.

I assume cluberti meant for you to follow the link he provided. In post #7 he made this snip for XP forcing Details view.

Here's a .reg that will force "details" view for all current and new folders if imported into a logged-on user's registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags\AllFolders\Shell]
"WFlags"=dword:00000000
"Status"=dword:00000000
"Mode"=dword:00000004
"vid"="{137E7700-3573-11CF-AE69-08002B2E1262}"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell]
"WFlags"=dword:00000000
"Status"=dword:00000000
"Mode"=dword:00000004
"vid"="{137E7700-3573-11CF-AE69-08002B2E1262}"

Thanks. I didn't realize that was a link.

Do the dashes before the first four registry keys mean I should delete them?

LOL, yes that's what that means and yes they will get deleted, but you do not need to do it manually (unless you really want to). Save the code as a text file and rename it something.reg and double click it.

Edited by MrJinje

It didn't work. I saved the text as "Fix.reg" on my desktop & double-clicked. It asked me if I wanted to make the changes in the registry, I clicked yes, it said it had successfully made the changes, but when I rebooted, I still got Icons view.

Well, I would check the registry to be sure all of the required data is there - assuming it is, I cannot explain it. This works properly on my own XP SP3 VM (just tested it to be sure).

Make sure you're watching out for line wrap on the code box in the thread - if you copy/paste directly, the file is all screwed up. I've attached the .reg I use to this post (renamed to .txt, of course) if you want to try and download/run it.

Here's it in action, working properly on my XP SP3 VM I just built:

XP_Explorer_Shell_Bags_Registry.png

XP_Explorer_ShellNoRoam_Bags_Registry.png

folderviewsettings.txt