iexplore.exe not responding

gbarker

After many years of using Internet Explorer with no problems, yesterday I was unable to connect using this browser. I tried several times, but each time, after about a minute, action ceased. When I eventually decided to restart my machine, there were several messages about a file not being able to be found (cannot remember the name), and also the statement "iexplore.exe not responding". I also noted a message that there had been a recent automatic download for Windows that required a restart. I'm sure this topic is covered somewhere in the forum, but it is difficult to find it even with the search. Please advise suggested cause of, and solution to, the sudden problem, as I would like to continue with Explorer if possible, rather than utilise an alternate browser.

tech4niq.

Thank you for the reply. However, I am not that savvy on these matters, so am not sure exactly how to carry out your proposed remedy. Could you please clarify how exactly I should carry out each of the recommended 4 steps i.e.:-

"

1) Run IE with safe mode switch (IE7+ only), Start => Run and type iexplore.exe -extoff

2) Reset Internet Explorer to default state

3) Flush DNS cache

4) Run SFC.exe to fix broken system files

"

Also, can you advise why this problem has suddnely arisen.

Many thanks

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

1)

Start => Run

iexplore.exe -extoff

That command run Internet Explorer in safe mode, without any extensions. Check situation, if IE can connect to internet, you should reset your browser to default.

2)

Reset Internet Explorer to default

Please, read this => CLICK

3)

Flush DNS cache

Start => Run

ipconfig /flushdns

4)

Run SFC.exe to fix broken system files

Start => Run => cmd

sfc /scannow

All broken files will be recovered.

Also, can you advise why this problem has suddnely arisen.

It hard to tell, many possibilities... recently updated system with bad hotfix, malware etc.

Edited by tech4niq