Cant seem to install Java silently

dubsdj

Hi

I have written a batch script to silently install JAVA during the Computer startup. The problem is that the PC just hangs on running startup scripts... it seems like its pausing for

some weird reason, but I can't see anything in the EVENT viewer so I don't know why it's hanging on running startup scripts. The even stranger thing is that on PC's that already have the java update installed then I find that the script runs without an issue.

Here is my script:

@echo off

if exist c:\windows\javaupdates\java18 (goto end)

md c:\windows\javaupdates\java18

rem NOW INSTALL JAVA SILENTLY

rem -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

copy /y \\my-server\packages$\Java_Packages\jre-6u18-windows-i586-s.exe c:\windows\javaupdates\java18

start /w c:\windows\javaupdates\java18\jre-6u18-windows-i586-s.exe /s /v"/qn ADDLOCAL=jrecore IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 INSTALLDIR=c:\windows\javaupdates\java18"

rem ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:end

exit

Edited by dubsdj

maybe...

c:\windows\javaupdates\java18\jre-6u18-windows-i586-s.exe /s /v"/qn.......

to

c:\windows\javaupdates\java18\jre-6u18-windows-i586-s.exe /s /v/qn".......

i see examples in both manners, but the latter is the silent command i use.

You should probably add debugging prompts into the script so you know exactly where you are on each execution step. I'm betting it's failing on the initial connection to the UNC path for the server, but you'll need some script instrumentation to be sure of where you are exactly, honestly. Given that you're running this as a startup script, assuming it's not a user logon script but a machine startup script, you're connecting to \\server with the computer account, not a user account - if the computer object doesn't have permissions in the share and the NTFS permissions on the data to at least r+x the content, you'll either fail or hang.

You should probably add debugging prompts into the script so you know exactly where you are on each execution step. I'm betting it's failing on the initial connection to the UNC path for the server, but you'll need some script instrumentation to be sure of where you are exactly, honestly. Given that you're running this as a startup script, assuming it's not a user logon script but a machine startup script, you're connecting to \\server with the computer account, not a user account - if the computer object doesn't have permissions in the share and the NTFS permissions on the data to at least r+x the content, you'll either fail or hang.

I don't think its a server share problem because it is the same share that all packages are deployed via GPO. Also I opened the c: drive of the computer from another location and I could see that the java setup file was copied across successfully onto the computer. I think it's stopping when it attempts to install the software silently.

I don't think its a server share problem because it is the same share that all packages are deployed via GPO. Also I opened the c: drive of the computer from another location and I could see that the java setup file was copied across successfully onto the computer. I think it's stopping when it attempts to install the software silently.
That would have been useful to know from the beginning ;), although debugging in your scripts is still a recommendation you should consider. If we know the file copied, then yes, it's probably the launcher, and iamtheky's post is probably relevant. Those switches are indeed usually specific and introducing a character out of place can cause the whole thing to go up in smoke.