Adding few directories to default directories of Windows Search

balubeto

HI

How do, in Windows 7, I add a few directories (also belonging to a different partition from the system partition) to the default directories of Windows Search so that, when I create a new index, Windows 7 creates a new index with the default directories and my additional directories?

THANKS

BYE

Edited by balubeto

Excuse me, but, when I click on "new index", my additional directories disappear and only the default directory of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\CrawlScopeManager\Windows\SystemIndex\DefaultRules keys of the Windows registry are reintroduced. In other words, I might add, permanently, some additional directories to those keys.

THANKS

BYE

Edited by balubeto

I don't know if you can or cannot add a key to that list, but I've not tried - the UI has always worked properly for me. Also, those keys are there for the ISearchCrawlScopeManager API, so I'm not sure modifying it directly is a good idea. There does exist a set of group policies (local or otherwise) that you can configure under Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search that allow you to set the default indexed paths, excluded paths, etc.