Logging onto domain with Vista Business

micklowe

Hi All,

First post on here, sorry if its already been asked, I tried searching the forums but wasn't really sure what keywords to use.

My question is this, when setting up Vista clients on our network we have quite a few laptops which have remote access but are used in the office too, we never seem to be able to get the permissions set correctly for access to Outlook, i.e. when I log onto my laptop I log onto the local computer not the network (as an admin of the laptop), when I start Outlook I have to re-enter my logon details for the domain. If I log onto the domain instead the Outlook message doesn't appear but I cannot install/run software on my laptop without entering the domain admin password, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Mick

IMO it is much safer to have all your users running in non-admin domain accounts instead of as local admin accounts, but that is just me. You could just add your domain accounts or group into the local administrators group on each machine. Not exactly good advice but it's just enough rope to hang yourself. That would be the quickest dirtiest un-safest route.

But my question is are you really installing that many apps, and on a daily basis, that it becomes such a pain in the Run-As. Why not just install all the apps in one sitting, using the local admin account, and be done with it.

As for apps not running under a user account, that's not good, maybe we need to look into these specifically and determine what the real problem is. Vista did make some changes to how the system handles/restricts users and directories, but these are usually fixable on a per-application basis. Which programs are giving you trouble.

Edited by MrJinje