Win7 answer file documentation

Greetings. I have been tasked with figuring out Windows 7 deployment. We're jumping from XP, so I don't have much experience with the new autounattend.xml format.

I've found a lot of fragmented information out there, but what I really need is a definitive guide to all the XML file options. I want to know every option possible, with a friendly description to go along with it so I know what I'm doing.

If anybody know of any sites / documentation with this info, and can point me in that direction, I would appreciate it.

Thanks Much.

Your best bet is to install the WAIK for Windows 7 and use the Unattend.chm. It has most of the settings documented, but as with all Microsoft releases, they probably missed plenty of things, and those will remain undocumented until someone discovers them.

Here is a link to the WAIK updated documentation.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Ah, I was afraid that was the case. Oh well. Thanks for the info.

Oh, and if anybody can point me in the direction of a good answer file example, that would be great. Preferably something that is more than a bare bones answer file.

Thanks.

Ah, I was afraid that was the case. Oh well. Thanks for the info.

Oh, and if anybody can point me in the direction of a good answer file example, that would be great. Preferably something that is more than a bare bones answer file.

After you install the WAIK, open your start menu and find the link for the "Windows System Image Manager" in the waik folder. That is the tool that can assist you in creating all the proper syntax necessary. For an IT employee, you will need to learn how to use that, it will be your best friend in creating a truly custom XML file. Most of the settings in XML you find online will be aimed home users. At least you are getting paid to do it the hard way.

Here is a relatively complex XML file of mine own design.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=at...st&id=28072 (save link as)

Once you have WSIM open, in the lower left corner, select your catalog file (goto DVD\Sources and select your .CLG file). Afterwards in the middle frame choose Open an answer file, and select the one you just downloaded. Then use the lower left frame to add the missing settings to the XML, and use the middle frame to adjust/tweak the settings. Unattend.chm gives you a little blurb about each setting, and which configuration pass it is valid for. Read the first section of unattned.chm like a book if you want to learn about the config passes and the other basics. Also has section detailing what changed since XP, do not skip that page.

wsim.png

Edited by MrJinje