Windows 2000 Recovery Console can't handle Large Hard Drives 1TB

I just installed a 1TB SATA drive on my Windows 2000 workstation and transferred all my partitions over to the new disk. Everything is working speedy (this Seagate 7200.12 does 100 MB/sec avg sustained reads, my old Seagate 250GB did 55 MB/sec avg reads...)

However Recovery Console can't mount the drive because it's too large. It shows as 131GB.

I'm concerned because since enabling HyperThreading, my NTOSKRNL.EXE Windows Updates always seem to break the boot by installing Uni versions instead of SMP versions. And I have to use Recovery Console to swap the files around to fix the boot. Now that I have the larger drive, this becomes impossible...

I slipstreamed a Win2K install directory with SP4 and URP1 and the 2005 ATAPI.SYS and then did winnt32 /cmdcons which actually deletes the old CMDCONS and rebuilds a fresh one. This updated all my Recovery Console files to the latest versions.

But still it fails!

It mounts my smaller drives OK but not the 1TB.

Am I screwed? I could use my Windows XP CD for XP Recovery Console but then it would obnoxiously automatically "upgrade" all my NTFS 3.0 (Win2K) disks to NTFS 3.1... Not sure if that has any harmful effects, but feels unnecessary.

Edited by Syclone0044

I have been using it in a HIVE file for, oh, 8 years or so.

I recommend modifying HIVE files wherever possible because they are used to populate the registry first.

You can also fix the time zone data permanently this way.

See the HIVE files in my Win2k set for more detail.