Win9x Tools: Realtime Process Monitors

CharlotteTheHarlot

Gang, I'm hoping someone can direct me to a utility to help me out. I'm knee-deep in trying to solve this nagging Opera 10.xx problem of constant freeze-ups (info found in this thread). I have been able to determine that it is not a problem of Opera nailing the CPU to 100% after all. In fact it appears to be a kind of time-out or sleep, in other words CPU utilization at 0% :blink: What I really need now is a process monitor that can target a specific process and/or a specific thread.

What would be the absolute best tool for this job is a realtime monitor that can sound an alarm or write to a logfile when a designated process or thread goes to 0% (or any percentage we assign). Unless I am getting rusty, I have exhausted the capabilities of all of the following without finding that ability ...

• Microsoft SysMon (Win98se/WinME) ... Does not seem to allow individual process views. Instead there is a monolithic Kernel summing of all CPU activity.
  • System Internals ProcExp (Process Explorer v11.11) ... Seems very accurate, and when Opera hits 0% it blanks the CPU field completely. Unfortunately there is no way to trigger an alarm that I can find. Its litttle graphic display also seems to be monolithic like SysMon which makes the live graph illustration in the System Tray little more than eye candy really. But someone please correct me if I am wrong.
  • System Internals DLLview ... bare module info, no CPU.
  • Enrico Del Fante ATM (Another Task Manager) ... As super detailed as this baby is, it also leaves out alarms and logging. I had high hopes for this one. EDIT: The author seems to have vanished and Wayback has pages only until 2003 (abandonware?). If anyone knows anything about this please share your info! In the ABOUT box the author mentions an online help file (none seems to be included in the distro). This missing help file could be useful to look at.
  • NirSoft CurrProcess ... another nice one. This has much potential (e.g., dump process to file!) The only thing that he forgot was CPU activity.
  • Microsoft pView95 ... only the barest of info.
  • Microsoft pView95 (IgorNys modded) ... slightly more than the barest of info.
  • Igor Nys PrcView ... better, more like ProcExp and ATM, same shortcomings
  • MiTeC Process-Viewer PV ... much like pView
  • Delattre PerfMonitor ... very impressive but monolithic (no specific processes).
  • Delattre TMonitor ... not Win9x. Designed for multiple cores, this is gonna be a good one! Just released, free, found here.
  • Merijn-Soeperman IbProcMan ... much like pView
  • Merijn-PepiMK ProcAlyzer ... could not make this work (Win9x compatible?)
  • EnTech Resource Manager ... sleek and pretty, but of minimal use (for the task at hand)
  • IdeasAsylum TaskMonifier ... this is a .Net Framework 2.x application. Not gonna happen.
  • Alastair L. Wilson MWTask ... really basic Win3x Taskman
  • Folletto Malefico TaskManX ... slightly improved Win9x Taskman
  • InsaneWare Task-Master ... nothing special, uses yellow on white text! un-useable
    EDIT: currently researching the following:
    * Igor M. Arsenin TaskInfo
    * Veign Usage Monitor
    * infiero Tail XP
    * WindowsProtector.com WindowsProtector

I am open to all suggestions now. If I overlooked something in any of the above applications please correct me. Once again, I would love to find a way to automatically log to a file when a process CPU usage hits a threshold. This would be iron-clad info for the Opera devs to hopefully act upon. Currently I am logging these freezes by hand (BTW, I am seeing some kind of pattern where Opera complains about an MSFN script, see Site/Forum later).

Later I'll re-organize this top post into an index of realtime monitor tools for Win9x. So if at all possible, please use ADD REPLY and avoid quoting the current top post (because it will later be editied and thus followups would likely contain orphan quoted material!) thanks!

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

Using this code I wrote top, a small commandline program, which spits every 3 seconds the total processtime of all running processes. When you press 'q' it stops.

The output is tab-separated, so when you redirect the output to a file, you can use a spreatsheet program to analize the data.

The program uses wintop.vxd, so make sure the program can find it.