Heads up, folks!

RJARRRPCGP

Windows Update has an issue where if you didn't install service packs yourself and if you try to get a service pack with Windows Update, the way that Microsoft wants home users to update Windows, then apparently, Windows Update then F-s up, it fails to install service packs before other updates!

And thus, apparently, Windows Update keeps trying to install updates without prerequisites and thus Windows Update gives an error!

Especially with an update for .Net Framework 3.5, you're probably gonna get a message from Windows Update telling you that it didn't complete and give you an error code!

The only solution is to have the service packs installed manually BEFORE running Windows Update!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

This was a known issue with SP1 and SP2, especially for folks who used tools like vLite to integrate/slipstream the service pack. Doing this leaves the CBS engine in a state where you may not be able to apply the next service pack, and you may also have issues with other updates that use the CBS engine as well. Given that Microsoft only supports the method where service packs are actually installed on a running OS and not slipstreamed (the best we can do supported is the reverse integration / reimage method if you want installable updates and don't have access to newer SP integrated media), this isn't really surprising. The updates assume you installed previous updates a certain way, and if you didn't, things can break.

Huh, being optimistic here, Windows Update actually went fine with Service Pack 1 integrated.

It's when I have zero service packs. And the updating appeared to actually go faster.

I had positive results so far with Service Pack 1 on the DVD.

Thanks for letting me know, but updates haven't failed so far.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP