Need to retrieve office activation code

David Perez

I have a (I think) really bizarre problem........

I have Office 2003 installed on the desktop (XP) and the laptop (XP).

I just installed Windows 7 and need to reinstall Office. EXCEPT, my CD exploded. I'm not kidding, it's not an urban myth, or some

insane oddity. I've been using CDs for at LEAST 20+ years and I've never had one do this before. I had the CD in the DVD burner,

and was doing something else when I heard a loud bang. I didn't know what it was until later when I tried to open the DVD burner

and it was jammed. I removed it from the desktop system and realized it was full of small, jagged pieces.

I disassembled the DVD burner and it was clear the CD had disintegrated. There were a ton of small pieces, and the shiny coating

was separated and also in a bunch of small pieces......

This wouldn't be a HUGE problem except for one thing...... Since I've had this CD for years, I've long since gotten rid of the jewel

box and wrote the activation code ON THE CD. Which of course is now in the garbage in a bunch of pieces.

SO, I still have it installed, and need to know how to go into XP and retrieve the activation code (that thing with the 5 groups of 5

characters) so I can (hopefully) download office and install it in Windows 7.......

HOW do I retrieve the code?

OK, never mind, I'm an id***............ I found the keyfinder that retrieved the OFFICE key from the laptop.........

SO, now I've got a key. Anybody know where I can download Office Professional 2003? I keep finding sites

that let me download service packs, but so far I'm not finding the actual software. I presume if I can get

the trial I can just put in my key and be back to normal... But where do I download the software?

i'm pretty sure you can't dl a 2003 trial, only 2007.

You also need to know what channel your version is, this can be retail, oem, or volume license

If you try to use your key on the wrong channel it won't work.

Most places to download 'warez' will have the volume license professional version

You can always call up microsoft and they will send you a replacement CD, but they will charge shipping

hope that helps

Yeah, I talked to MS. The note is in a different topic... It was neither pleasant nor useful!

But, you are correct, MS WILL send a new CD........ $20 for the CD, $5 for shipping, PLUS state sales tax........

And if you have an installation problem they STILL won't support it apparently.........

I"ll leave the rest to the other topic 'cause if I start here I'll just end up screaming again!