how to set IE6 to open irc program from irc:// url ?

Joseph_sw

how exactly registry need to be edited,

so when i simply click url like this: (or typing such url in address bar)

• irc://irc.irchighway.net/certainchannel

IE6 / windows explorer would launch irc program (ie: mIRC) accordingly ?

You'd need an IRC class ID setting up the URL:IRC protocol handler (take a look at HKCR\FILE or HKCR\FTP for examples), the source filter, and the shell open command tree pointing to the app that will be handling the filter request.

The MSDN documentation is here, although note the URL will be encoded before it is passed to the binary - if the binary doesn't handle being passed an URL with escape-encoded characters on the command line, this will likely fail. The application handling the request has to be written to specifically handle the way the browser is going to be passing it the parameters, so you should make sure with the app vendor or developer that they can even handle being called this way first before going through the effort to set it up.

thanks for your information, i made registry changes that finaly works, however after one tries, it wont working anymore.

i suspected something probably wrong with the irc client itself.

the suspicion was finaly confirmed with this change-log statement:

Also irc:// links are now only added to the Current User registry, not the Local Machine registry and this is only done when mIRC is run, not by the installer.
yup, the irc client deletes the irc sub-key in HKLM and creates the new one on HKCU.

for some reason which i don't know, IE / win98SE explorer shell, won't process the irc protocol properly, if it wasn't existed in HKLM.

current workaround: downgrade the irc client to where that change hasn't been done.

Edited by Joseph_sw