Task Scheduler error 1717; Event Log service error 126

Hi All,

I'm having a problem with Task Scheduler on XP Media Center Edition, which i've narrowed down to a probable specific issue with something called the "event Log Service".

Under Computer Management - Services - The Event Log is set to Automatic, but is not running. I try to start it, it gives the following error:

"Could not start the Event Log Service on Local Computer. Error 126: The specified module cannot be found". A similar error occurs with something called "Task Scheduler" in the same place - except this time the second part is "Error 1717: The interface is unknown".

I think my issue is related to this forum post, http://minasi.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12305. I looked at my Symantec Endpoint Protection quarantined files, which showed a virus called "Trojan.Dropper" had deleted a file named "eventlog.dll". As soon as I restore the file, though, it cleans it by deleting it again.

Does anyone have any idea how to replace this .dll file with a clean one? Is it simply by copying a clean file, pasting in the /System32 directory, and registering it?

Edited by bguidry