Games and sharing not working?

zmin

Hi, I'm currently running a lite RTM version of windows 7

I managed to get the ICS (internet connection sharing) started by running the dependency service "Windows Firewall" but I can't manage to share a drive.

I get the message:

An error occurred while trying to share Funk. Incorrect function. The shared resource was not created at this time.

I noticed that on the "Change advanced sharing settings" turning the "Turn on network discovery" and "Turn on file and printer sharing" options can not be saved for some reason.

I've also copied the windows 7 games (e.g. chess) but none of them will start. I copyed any game and cards dll's from the system32 folder but it does not help.

Anyone, please?

I'm pretty satisfied with my current windows version if i could find a workaround, at least for the sharing part. :rolleyes:

can anyone help please?

again the scheme is:

USB DSL INTERNET ------> DESKTOP PC (Windows 7) --lan--> LAPTOP (Windows 7)

the settings for the DESKTOP PC are:

net1.jpg

as you can see the LAN network appears unidentified on the desktop PC even though its set to ICS using the ip 192.168.0.1 to share the DSL connection

the settings for the LAPTOP are:

net2.jpg

the problem is i can't manage to turn sharing on, that's to say after i enable it from the advanced sharing, the settings do not save.

i can access a shared laptop drive from the dekstop but not the other way around (i can't share anything). zminin dot com

• 4 months later...

Getting back to this. windows 7 vs windows 7 sharing does not work. the versions are identical. but the share only works one way (the ICS server can see the laptop's file but not the other way).

when i try sharing i get the message:

An error occurred while trying to share XXX. Incorrect function.

The shared resource was not created at this time

Please help, i've looked it up and there are other people with the same problem but no solutions.

If you're trying to share files and folders, ICS is not meant for this - Homegroup is. If you're trying to get the Desktop to share it's internet connection so the laptop can route through it, then this should be working. It would be better if you used the Homegroup feature if you're trying to share files/folders/printers/etc.

Hi, I'm currently running a lite RTM version of windows 7

I think I see the problem. :whistle:

the problem isn't that it's lited, i just stated my laptop has an identical version and works perfectly, always had always will. the thing with windows networking is that it never was easy to configure. for example everytime i try to set up a lan network between my laptop and a desktop computer (via twisted cable) windows ALWAYS sees it as public and i can't change that. on the other hand desktops with dsl connections can always be marked as home. a friend of mine recently lost all his documents (plus a considerable music library) to a "hacker" who just accesed his share over the network, since it wouldn't make sense to allow sharing on a public network (aka the on in the room) but only on a home network (which can be marked as the vulnerable dsl connection).

windows 7's troubleshooters and diagnostics are better at pointint out the problems but not necesarily solving them, so i'm relying on the online support recommended by them, which among other places could be here.

firewall and ics are up and running, homegroup is working (though i never use it). using default settings i dont know why sharing would only work in one direction. i can't share anything and i can't save any sharing options, please help! :) thanks.

Hmm I looked into this a little and I think the root of the problem is ICS is forcing the Public network location profile on the adapter facing the LAN. Note ICS is enabled on the adapter facing the WAN. Since the LAN adapter has the Public profile, filesharing is blocked by the firewall. There is a GPO (Network List Manager Policies) to set the default profile for unidentified networks as Private instead of Public, but it doesn't work correctly. Even if you disable the firewall on the LAN interface (and leave it enabled on the WAN interface), filesharing is still not functional for some reason...

yes, i figured your right. this makes sense since the LAN network's type (public/home) gets "sticky" once it's been selected during windows installation if the cable is plugged in. i'm about to reinstall 7 and i'm hoping that the ICS will work too (currently the laptop got a fresh install but it can't ping the server's 192.168.0.01 - albeit this might be just a hardware card problem). guess there's no other way to fix this since windows seems to remember all lan settings :) thanks for clearing it though!