Confused about unofficial updates

Stuckin98

:blushing:

I'm not too good with forums so I hope this is in the right place.

I'm using the unofficial updates and wondered if this will be an ONGOING project ........ Sort of like

all the people working on Linux stuff. I think it would be totally cool if 98se could be taken apart

and rebuilt. IE6 seems to be the big problem for me. ERROR REPORT, ERROR REPORT, closing down now. Grrrrrrr. I had to use Firefox before I could even post this. Also, how can I keep updated when

new releases come out ?

Since I'm unable to do any programing, I really admire those who can. Thanks guys ! :)

A lot of us would like to see a completely rebuilt and modernized 98 that retains all of its best features. It probably won't happen.

Most of the unofficial projects are maintained by one or two people who are basically donating their time and skills. Some of them maintain websites that contain their projects. To my knowledge, there is no release schedule or long term plans with most of them. You either have to check them or check back here for updates.

Many of the unofficial updates are one time installs. Gape's unofficial service packs are good, as are Maximum-Decim's updates. Others like KernelEX and the GDI heap extender are in a constant state of development and should be considered experimental. Regardless of what you choose, make a full system backup first. IMO, the best approach would be to update as far as you can using the "official channels". Clean out all the temp files. Equip it as you want it. Optimize the system as much as you can. Then make a full system backup. This way, you can start over with a finished system that's ready to go. Dual and multi-boot systems make this task easy.

IE6 seems to be the big problem for me. ERROR REPORT, ERROR REPORT, closing down now. Grrrrrrr. I had to use Firefox before I could even post this.

Internet Explorer is a problem for a lot of people. IE6 is very vulnerable and way behind in regards to web standards. A lot of people do like FireFox or Opera, but on 9X systems there's other options that IMO are better. SeaMonkey and K-Meleon both run very well on 98. Both are fast, light, and dependable, not to mention more secure than IE. Some users will remove Internet Explorer from 98 using either 98Lite or IEradicator. This is not something a novice or casual user should consider. It can break some other software that relies on IE components and might change your system in ways that you don't expect. Another reason for a system backup first. I've removed Internet Explorer from about half of my 98 systems. There was some extra work involved in configuring and equipping them, replacing a couple of files needed by another application, etc. The result was lightweight, stable systems than run much faster than the hardware specs suggest that they would.