Change drive letters using Acronis Disk Director in Dual boot XP syste

kisivotinh

I have a PC pre intall with Vista Home Premium.

I've just installed Win XP Pro SP3 for the dual boot system.

Now my Drive layout in XP is:

C:Vista

D:Data contained the "Document and Settings" folder

E-I:Some data drives, CD ROM drive

K:XP

I want to use Acronis Disk Director in XP to change to this:

C:XP

V:Vista

Have anyone try this before? I wonder whether this will mess up with my XP or Vista OS. I'm a little bit nervous before I start this process.

Please advise.

That link to vista4begginers is for non OS partitions. You cant just change the OS drive letter as their are pointers in the registry, pointers to ntoskrnl.exe, etc. It's probably possible by editing some things but I don't know how. Maybe someone with some experience doing it can chime in.

Well yes.. I did not notice that.

However, while researching for an article on Drive letters disappearing in Windows Vista, I read somewhere that if you install Vista from boot disk directly, it changes the partition letters and takes over C drive most of the times.

It also said that it is better to install XP and then install Vista from within XP (instead of boot installation) to keep the drive letters intact. I did not save the URL however. As you said, someone with more experience can help!

--

Best Regards,

Arun Kumar M.

Signed: Thursday, June 25, 2009, 1:07:52 PM IST

That explains why I keep seeing that at some other forum...Windows 7 claiming it's on C when it really isn't. That's progress for you I guess. :w00t:

I've only installed Windows 7 from within XP like you said and it goes to the drive letter I tell it to.

Anyways, for what it's worth, I came across this knowledge base article about changing system drive letters. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188. Note that it doesn't cover Vista. I think more than that is needed because you still have your environmental variables, user shell folders that need to be changed.