clean reinstall vista from pre-install HP Pavillion laptop

hellomoto

I just found this thread and have not read through the many posts. Pls bear with me....

I have a HP pavillion laptop, and also have created the recovery boot discs (obviously because recovery disc are no longer provided). However, the pre-installed OS (vista home basic) includes a lot of garbage. So what's new... I did a google search and came across "unattended windows," which led me to this forum.

To keep this short, am I on the right track? Is it possible to use the recovery discs and somehow trick it to only install the OS without the gunk?

The following is just me whining:

what ever happened to "clean installs"? We paid for the OS, why can't we just get the install disc(s) for the OS?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Edited by hellomoto

I think if you creat recovery disks, you will get the OS. As opposed to if you recover a crapped out computer by accessing the HP hidden recovery partition, if you do that, you get all the original junk that came with your computer. I may be worong on this, if so, some kind soul will jump on me <smile>

As I assume you have a legitimate sticker on the Laptop showing the MS Product Key, then at a pinch, if you have any friend who has original Vista Home Basic OS disks, you could use those, but put your own key in when prompted. Again, not 100% sure.

You can use your original vista disks with the key on the bottom of your laptop to do a fresh install. Here's what I did: I purchased a compaq laptop in february that had vista home premium on it and all the bloated crap that hp decided to install on it. Well, I had purchased vista ultimate from circuit city a month before that. I wiped out the hard drive, started the install and entered my vista home premium key in during the installation and it installed a fresh copy of vista home premium on my laptop. All you have to do is go through the activation process once you get to your desktop. I've redone this several times and it worked each time. Don't know about using a friend's disc. I'll let someone else weigh in on that one.

that was the first thing I tried when I got the laptop. I re-installed via recovery disc, but it was not a clean install. I'll try your second suggestion, but most of my friends have XP. I also have XP on my desktop.

HP doesn't ship their products with original OS disks anymore.

also, correction: i think I have vista home premium on the laptop, not basic.

Edited by hellomoto