Vista Won't Start Anymore

spacesurfer

I found my main desktop computer (see sig below for specs) in a continuous loop. It has Vista SP1 x64 installed.

It would go to the screen with startup options and asks if you want to boot normally or in safe mode. Obviously, after 30 seconds it chooses to boot normally, then before the progress bar comes up, it blanks out and reboots.

I don't know what the problem is.

I checked my memory with Windows Memory Diagonistic and after 1 pass of 6 tests, it was okay.

I have installed Windows 7 RC for now on a different partition. The vista partition seems to be okay. I booted to Vista PE and it was accessible. It's find in Windows 7 as well. Doesn't seem to be a hard drive problem.

Anything else I can try?

(Windows 7 setup ran extremely slow on my desktop. It does something at the "Setup is starting" for minutes - probably more than 5 minutes. Then again right before copying files." After install, it's fine). It doesn't pause like this on my slower laptop!)

I had the same problem on my Asus board that only resolved itself when I disabled the Linux boot partition in the BIOS - once that was disabled, everything installed quickly as it should have.

press F8 and select "Disable automatic reboot" and look if you can see error messages.

Well after installing Windows 7, vista boot option is gone. I'll have to add it back with bcdedit. I'll try it when I have free time.