Changing the actual sort order in a folder?

bizzybody

I have a GPS / mobile media player that uses SD cards. As I add and remove and add more audio and video files to an SD card, the player software on the GPS lists the files in whatever order they were put on the card.

It has no options to change how it lists the file names.

Is there a Windows program that can change the actual order that filenames are listed in a folder/directory?

I remember a sort utility for DOS that could do that. I had to use it for some program that assembled files into a data file and it would grab the files sequentially in the actual, physical, order their names were in the directory. If they weren't sorted correctly, the data file wouldn't work.

Instead of using the sort program, the files could be copied one at a time to the source directory, but with a few hundred files that would be extremely tedious.

It's the same with putting files on this SD card. I can have them listed in order if I want to take the time every time to delete all the files from the card then copy all the files I want to keep and any new files.

It'd be much easier if there's a way to sort AND APPLY that sort to the actual directory listing written on the card.

"FolderSort version 1.1: runs under MS Windows 95, 98 and presumably NT."

"presumably"??? Even if it does, I wouldn't want to use a file system utility for NT's version of NTFS on 2000, XP or Vista, even if I'm using it to sort a folder on a FAT32 volume.

Edited by bizzybody