Low Audio _Sound Volume

tarunp

I have an Asus P5Q motherboard with Realtek HD Audio and have Win7 Beta 64-bit installed.

I am currently using Microsoft's generic High Definition Audio driver which was automatically installed by Win7.

I have noticed that the audio volume level is very low while using WMP12 to play Xvid and other media files. Using VLC Player, I have an option to increase the default volume - is there any similar setting for WMP12? The same files sound much louder in WMP on a Vista/XP OS.

Has the sound volume been deliberately kept low in Win7/WMP12 ? I have tried loading the latest Realtek Vista 64-bit Drivers from their website (version 2.16) but these lower the volume even further !! Is there any way to fix this ?

No, and I have the same board and drivers with no issues. You might want to go into the mixer or the properties for your speakers in playback devices and make sure it isn't specifically set artificially low there (obviously do this with WMP12 running and playing audio, otherwise it won't show up in the mixer). I had those problems with my headphone jack, but for some reason the audio driver had set it to a default volume of "2" (out of 100). Dunno why, didn't do that on a reinstall of 7022 or 7048, so it might also be a build 7000 thing.

I am afraid my problem remains - as soon as I update my generic sound drivers to the latest realtek 64-bit drivers, the "master' sound volume falls appreciably. I have set the speakers to their max volume but there's still a very noticeable drop in volume.