Winpe2.0 network/ip setup issue

gauravkr

Hi,

We are moving from WinPe1.6 to WinPe2.0. The problem comes when setting up networking. The network setup is now done using "wpeutil.exe InitializeNetwork" as against "factory.exe -winpe" for Winpe1.6. This brings up the network and assigns a dhcp ip to the card.

Now I require to reset this n/w interface and set static IPs onto it. This was achieved by setting the static IP into the (temporary winpe) registry and then calling dhcpNotifyConfigChange() (an undocumented win API) - This updates the in-memory IP table with the IP in the registry without requiring a reboot. This API, however, doesnt work for Winpe2.0 anymore. Does anybody know of any alternative windows API which can serve the purpose? I know netsh command is an alternative but I want some other means to achieve the goal.

Following are the challenges:

1. initial DHCP ip which is set when running wpeutil.exe; how do I change that to a static IP?

2. once its ready to take up static IPs how do I set the desired IP?

3. what if I need another set of IPs to be set for the same NIC - This I think can be achieved by calling AddIpAddress() win API

4. If I have added a static IP to the NIC how do I remove that (note that this is the IP *NOT* set using AddIpAddress())

Please note that what I am concerned about is setting the IPs temporarily and it doesnt matter if these are lost after reboot.

Thanks in advance!

~gk

I use WMI to modify the network settings. I wrote an HTA to provide a graphical interface that the user could use to enter the data and use the methods available to set the configuration.

Use the Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration WMI provider, it has all the methods needed to change the adapter configuration. Methods we use are EnableStatic, SetGateways, SetDNSDomain, SetDNSServerSearchOrder, SetWinsServer.

as I understand WMI again is scripting .. My requirement is to avoid that as well .. thanks anyways!

any other suggestions?

~gk

I use WMI to modify the network settings. I wrote an HTA to provide a graphical interface that the user could use to enter the data and use the methods available to set the configuration.

Use the Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration WMI provider, it has all the methods needed to change the adapter configuration. Methods we use are EnableStatic, SetGateways, SetDNSDomain, SetDNSServerSearchOrder, SetWinsServer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I implemented this using WMI APIs. However, I am facing issues in the following scenario:

1. I set a static IP using enableStatic()

2. I run enableStatic() for another IP and the new IP gets added to the old one.

3. I run enableDHCP() and it enables DHCP (though the static IPs are still seen if I do ipconfig)

4. I tried ReleaseDHCPLease() and RenewDHCPLease() attempting to release the static IPs and get a DHCP ip. Though this doesnt happen.

My Doubts:

- In step (2) above, is there a way to replace the already set IP with the new one? Using EnableStatic() it adds to the existing static IP.

- In step (3), DHCP is enabled but the IPs shown with ipconfig are still the static IPs. Is there a way to get a DHCP ip and get rid of all the static ones? - not using netsh but using WMIs or other windows APIs.

- What effect does step (4) have? It didnt do anything! I expected it to release all the IPs and get a new DHCP one.

Kindly comment!

Thanks,

Gaurav

Any suggestions on this?

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I implemented this using WMI APIs. However, I am facing issues in the following scenario:

1. I set a static IP using enableStatic()

2. I run enableStatic() for another IP and the new IP gets added to the old one.

3. I run enableDHCP() and it enables DHCP (though the static IPs are still seen if I do ipconfig)

4. I tried ReleaseDHCPLease() and RenewDHCPLease() attempting to release the static IPs and get a DHCP ip. Though this doesnt happen.

My Doubts:

- In step (2) above, is there a way to replace the already set IP with the new one? Using EnableStatic() it adds to the existing static IP.

- In step (3), DHCP is enabled but the IPs shown with ipconfig are still the static IPs. Is there a way to get a DHCP ip and get rid of all the static ones? - not using netsh but using WMIs or other windows APIs.

- What effect does step (4) have? It didnt do anything! I expected it to release all the IPs and get a new DHCP one.

Kindly comment!

Thanks,

Gaurav