I need Some XP help please.

briank93

Ok I went out to buy a new hard drive because mine was having issues so i go to copy the files (i bought a western digital hard drive and it comes with a program that will do it for you.) So after about 2.5 hrs of copying my stuff it is finally over. So I shut off my computer hook up the new hard drive like it says to do. So i did. The Computer started up fine until i came to the welcome screen and it says that the system has changed significantly. This has happened a couple times before no big deal except this time i cannot find my product key. Can i call microsoft on this can i email them or am i just completley screwed. Can some one please help me before the 3 days is up.

Yes, just call them. You will have to describe exactly what you did (in a little more detail than you offered here btw) and they will verbally give you a code to enter. No sweat.

NOTE: you should not have triggered the WPA by merely swapping out the HDD, *unless* you have made a ton of other major changes recently. Is that the case here? I am more inclined to believe the Western Digital software screwed up what is a very simple cloning procedure.

An alternative would be to do the process again this time using the Seagate software (but only if the old drive is a Seagate naturally!).

Agreed - it sounds more like changes had been made in the last 6 months or so and the HDD swap was the last straw, so to speak, thus triggering the WPA warning. You are correct though, the user should just call MS, explain the situation, and will have little trouble getting re-activated. He may need to provide proof of ownership with a COA sticker though.