Problems with Address Bar in Windows 98 First Edition

owlsnesttoo

:realmad: Hi all,

Today Ancestry.com updated their search software for their website and once again has caused problems with my computer. The update failed, but I got messages that some "widgets" were downloaded. After it was obvious that the install had gotten hung up, I had to close the IE window by cntrl-alt-del to end the task. I also did a crash restart of my computer, but unfortunately, the changes to my system files appear to have been made anyway.

Now, there are several problems, but the worst seems to be with the address bar and some other drop-down type menus in Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, MS Word and other programs.

The drop-down menu opens and closes repeatedly on it's own, causing it to flicker and sometimes cntrl-alt-del has to be used to exit the program or window. This affects being able to save files under a different name or choosing files to open, as well as search options, etc.

Also, there are keyboard problems where Word will act like the delete key is being held down, when it isn't. Mouse menus opened with the alt-button on a mouse can't be opened or used without problems, and keyboard shortcut keys such as cntrl-C or cntrl-V cause crashes, too.

I tried to do a "find" of the C-drive for new files or modified files, but didn't come up with anything helpful.

Does anybody know what files control these functions? It's not just Microsoft programs that are affected. I'm running Windows 98 First Edition (not SE as it says under my name, how do I change that?) with the latest AXCEL updates.

Help please!

Sharon

Edited by owlsnesttoo