Activating xp home

Hi there,

I'n trying to activate my laptop by copying the the WPA.DBL file to the $OEM$\$$\system32 folder. The guide says that's all there is to it. Even though it doesn't work for me. Right before the first logon Windows shows a message that it should be activated before logging on. When I click yes, it logges on and starts installin all programs I prepared for runonceex. Once in Windows I can activate using the internet but ofcourse that's not my intention. I formatted and activated my laptop before and I used that wpa.dbl file. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Ok, so how do I automatically activate it? I don't have an active internet connection at the time of activation. Will the OEMBIOS method work now I activated it myself. (So it is not activated by OEM supplier)

To start with i take it your system came with windows preinstalled or do you have a recovery cd is it an OEM machine. ?if it is and you dont have original cd you you will need to download OEM bios files from the internet and use a royalty key . also read thread here as to why WPA.DBL file wont work everytime you format hard drive the serial number changes and you are only allowed so many hardware changes.Windows Product Activation (WPA) on Windows Xp

Edited by urie

Ok, I read the article. So it won't work because wpa.dbl also contains a serial based on the partition and if you format it, it doesn't match.

I got my laptop preinstalled, so it's probably oem, allthough there wasn't any other software on it but drivers. I do not have a cd or recovery partition. So what I did is I downloaded xp home and formatted and installed, then activated using the internet. So is it still oem now, or does it change to normal? Can I back up this activation or do I need to use dos programs to check the partition serial like in the artical?

Edited by Bolus

You could try this program Called WinKeyFinder.

Here are some key features of "WinKeyFinder":

· View/change XP Key

· View/Change MS office Key

· View Win98 Key

· view Win2000 Key

· View .Net Key

· View Win2003 Key

· Back up WinXP Activation

· Save Your Product Key By Encrypting It

· Generate Unique Passwords By Entering your Combination of KeyCode

· Now Support MS office 2000 Key Viewing and Key changing but only if MS office Service Pack 2 has been installed.

What's New in This Release:

· Activatin after a clean format problem has been solved now You can take backup of your Windows XP activation along with Volume serial number.

· While Restoing Activation You can change your Volume Serial number to the one which is Backedup and Present as activated Volume Serial number!

http://www.winkeyfinder.com/winkeyfinder-n...inkeyfinder.php

Also you have never mention the make of your laptop if it is branded name you can make an OEM xp cd that will activate without going on the internet.