How do I get search to find files I know exist?

bizzybody

I've downloaded the Claws that Catch one big zip and extracted it. (It's 100% legal to download these CDs, see the blurb below from the disc.)

I want to find all the files with the .mobi extention to read on my PDA, so I enter *.mobi in the search box in Explorer and get... NOTHING. It doesn't matter if I search from the root or from a folder. If I search for *.htm from the root of the drive where I extracted that zip, it finds many files but not the ones in the newly extracted folder and its subfolders.

The files are there, I can go into each book's folder and see the files. I can even copy them, one at a time. Why are wildcards not working properly in Vista?

I've read that Vista has "new and improved" search capabilities, that I can use ext: followed by the filename extention I'm looking for. That doesn't work properly either.

When I'm searching for a file or files, I bloody well want Windows to search EVERYWHERE below the point where I start! None of this not looking for what I know exists and have told it to look for.

If I sound pi##ed off, it's because I am pi##ed off! In 26 years of using and fixing computers I've never run into as big a collection of stupid things in one system as I've seen in Vista. An almost invisible "highlight" color that can't be changed, "search" that plays "see no evil" with files it decides it wants to ignore, and more. There's plenty to like that IS improved over XP but unfortunately some 'smart' people got to add more stupid when they should've been told NO!

An operating system is a tool, tools are supposed to do what the human in charge attempts to do with them. This broken search in Vista is like having a hammer that will only hit certain types of nails. A ball peen hammer might not be the best hammer to use on shingle nails, but it will drive them in if the user can hit them. "Microsoft Ball Peen Hammer has detected shingle nails. Please launch Microsoft Roofing Hammer to continue."

To Our Gentle Readers:

Within this electronic transfer medium you will discover a universe of adventure, delight and astonishment. All who venture herein shall be transported beyond these sad, tawdry, mortal realms and into a world of wonders. Rejoice! Rejoice! Thou art saved from the mundane.

So stick the %^&* CD in your computer! We don't do these things for our health!

And make many many copies and give them away to your friends. We don't mind. Really. We think of it as multi-level marketing with reader crack.

Repeat after me:

You willlll copy this CD and give it away... You willlll copy this CD and give it away... You willlll copy this CD and give it away...

Ohm... addict people to Ringo/Taylor books... Ohm... addict people to Ringo/Taylor books... Ohm... addict people to Ringo/Taylor books...

You may now have your mind back. But if you don't follow our instructions, the puppy gets it.

puppy.jpg

And we'll know. Oh, yes, we'll know...

John Ringo

Travis Taylor

Vista changes some things. By default it searches indexed locations. If it doesn't find it then it flips you the bird.

You need to go search for something (it won't find it),then click advanced search, then search location computer or C: instead of indexed locations, then click the search button near the bottom.

Edited by weEvil