SP3 vs fully updated SP2

98Guy

If I keep an installation of XP pro (sp2) fully updated and patched, then what is the difference between that and SP3?

I thought that SP3 was (at the time of it's release) just a roll-up of various SP2 patches. No?

I also heard some claims back when SP3 was in beta that SP3 system performance was 5 to 10% faster than current SP2. Are the previously-claimed performance benefits of SP3 true? Do they still hold? Were they bogus?

If there are differences in important system files between fully updated SP2 and current SP3 versions, then what files are we talking about, and what are the differences? For example, has DRM been strengthened in SP3?

Sp3 has a few new things besides just a roll-up of updates. Iv not paid much attention to these differences to be honest since iv been on X64 for sometime now. Anyway one thing i know is that SP3 has the NAP service, which in a corporate environment allows machines to be quarantined if they dont meet specific security standards (missing AV signatures and patches etc) This is paticularly useful for laptops.

Aside from that i really dont know what else is different myself.

You might want to read through the whitepaper on it:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...ang=en#filelist

Cheers

one thing i know is that SP3 has the NAP service. Aside from that i really dont know what else is different myself.

You might want to read through the whitepaper on it:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...ang=en#filelist

Yes - besides the NAP service, the white paper really doesn't mention how a system with SP3 differs from SP2 going forward.

This part is interesting:

-------------------

As in Windows Server 2003 SP2 and Windows Vista, users can now complete operating system installation without providing a product key during a full, integrated installation of Windows XP SP3. The operating system will prompt the user for a product key later as part of Genuine Advantage.

As with previous service packs, no product key is requested or required when installing Windows XP SP3 using the update package available through Microsoft Update.

This update affects only new operating system installations from integrated source media. This update affects the installation media only and is not a change to how activation works in Windows XP

-------------------

I take it that the above pertains to installing XP from a CD that has SP3 rolled into it (something that I bet few people have experienced). If so, then how does that work? How long can the installation operate without requiring WPA?

-----------------

The operating system will prompt the user for a product key later as part of Genuine Advantage.

-----------------

What is the trigger for WGA in that case?

You get a month of usage without the key.

The activation bubble will popup from the tray to remind you to activate, and when you do click on that it'll ask you to enter your key first. I assume the expiry relies on the idea that you can't activate without a valid key, and without activation after a month it will stop working until you do.