the guys windows me updates

i downloaded it from this http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...7&start=400

but this is not the newest one right?

the newest one am gussing its this

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...400#entry633925

but you said it temporary

how do i get the newest one

i installed main updates [all updates and hotfixes]

but didit install adaptec aspi update [4.60.1021]

tweakui 1.33

command pompt here

perfomance tweaks [reqires at least 64mb of ram]

wintop

because i dont know what they are

can you explain them please

• 3 weeks later...

any one know the answer to my qestion

TELL MEE THE ANSWER

and i got two more probloms

some reson scan disk keeps coming each start up and does the through scan which takes for ever so i cancel it

but i turned it off in msconfig

and when i go into control panel it says

An error occured while Windows was working with the control panel file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MAIN.CPL

i tried replacing the file from a back image from norton ghost but that didit work

scandisk "knows" you've been bad by means of two flag bits (one for thorough scan, one for regular scan) that are only cleared on successful completion of a scandisk run so you will just have to let it run to completion in order to get that bit cleared for that particular drive. MicroSoft used to have a Knowledge Base article describing the exact location of the bit but they removed it back before I knew how to save a web page and I never thought that they would remove it. Bottom line, I don't know how you can set it with a disk editor, but if you could - that would be the other way out of your scandisk problem. You might try to manually run scandisk without the thorough scan, but according to what I understand that won't work - it's still worth a try.

You can restore a good copy of the Main.cpl file from the ME installation cab files. Searching through Layout.inf, Layout1.inf and Layout2.inf files in the Windows\INF folder for Main.cpl show me that WIN_9.CAB contains it for my Upgrade version of ME. Use WinZip to extract it from the cab file and overwrite your current one in the Windows\System folder with the extracted one.

ME does have a file protection scheme of some sort so the above advice may fall a bit short of all that is needed to get the job done. I don't know enough about ME to tell you for sure how to circumvent the file protection scheme which may get in the way of a simple drop in replacement using Windows Explorer - or there may be no troubles at all.