system restarts continuosly after sysprep

Andrey_au

Good day,

Have a problem with acer tm6292.

I have 1 sysprepped universal image and addon images with drivers and extra applications. Image works fine with all current hardware – hp, acer desktops and notebooks, but TM6292.

After image is complete, I start the laptop it shows windows startup screen, and after about 30-40 seconds when sysprep should appear it shuts down. 100% not HD controller problem, as for example tried on 7220, 6592, 6293 with same AHCI/IDE controllers, works just fine.

I rebuilt image on VmWare, after win xp install sysprepped straight away, same result. The only way so far to work around this problem is to install Win straight onto the laptop.

No dump files appear.

Is there any way to track what triggers the shutdown?

was trying to compare registry of image installed straight to the laptop and universal image, but it's not easy, unless you know what to look for...

any suggestions will be appreciated :rolleyes:

cheers.

Ffirst, disable reboot on BSOD in your image. helps greatly with debugging.

Second, I suspect you have different HALs between your image and that laptop.

Hey mate,

Thanks for reply.

Double checked the setting and changed it, but there is not BSOD, it just shut downs itself...

Eventhough if automatic restart is enabled for very short moment you can see BSOD if it's there, so doesn't really matter as in 90% of cases it will produce a dump file, as some users won't be able to restart computer after BSOD :blink:

Hals are exactly the same, checked already, as systems are both quite new (less than 6 month old), and hals on all my systems past 2004 are same :)

But came up with another idea, will test tomorrow and update :hello:

I "narrowed" down a problem. Installed 2 systems from scratch and if I copy repair registry from the laptop to my universal image then everything works fine.

So now just need to find the difference between system and software registry on 2 systems, less than 400 kb of text... :whistle:

Hey guys, after more research and following win nt startup process step by step, i located where the problem happens.

It happens at Session Manager stage, after succesfully creating environment variables (registry entry changes from original to this particular laptop).

There are still 5 steps according to wiki on win nt start up process :

* Creates environment variables (HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment)

* Starts the kernel-mode side of the Win32 subsystem (win32k.sys). This allows Windows to switch into graphical mode as there is now enough infrastructure in place.

* Starts the user-mode side of the Win32 subsystem, the Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem (csrss.exe). This makes Win32 available to user-mode applications.

* Creates virtual memory paging files (HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management)

* Any rename operations queued up are performed. This allows previously in-use files (e.g. drivers) to be replaced as part of a reboot.

* Starts the Windows Logon Manager (winlogon.exe). Winlogon is responsible for handling interactive logons to a Windows system (local or remote). The Graphical Identification And Authentication (GINA) library is loaded inside the Winlogon process, and provides support for logging in as a local or Windows domain user.

So i took a healthy system and renamed 1 by 1 win32k.sys, csrss.exe and winlogon.exe via PE env, in each instance system restarts without dump or any log. As I know something about winlogon process, I did rename msgina.dll, which causes healthy windows system to give an error message that your gina file is missing or corrupt, bla bla bla :) On the laptop after renaming same file didn't get me to error message, that means that it gets stuck somewhere in the middle.

any ideas on better way of troubleshooting? :unsure: anyways, gonna dig into Session Manager Subsystem... though only have couple of days left :}