Switching a hard disk from my WindowsMe computer to my Windows98SE

WangoTango

I currently have a pretty small hard drive; Capacity: 4.02 GB. I already tried installing my bigger hard drive which had WindowsMe on it to another Windows98SE, and I wound up with a stuck screen resolution of 640x480 and a 4-bit color. I was wondering if anyone could help me to correct this problem?

lol i bet he damaged hes graphics card lol

make sure the graphics card is plug in good

so you had windows 98 and you put a new hard drive in and then you start up windows 98 and the screen resolution is 640x480 and a 4-bit color.

or did you start windows me. becasue if you did you need to install the drivers for window me

I currently have a pretty small hard drive; Capacity: 4.02 GB. I already tried installing my bigger hard drive which had WindowsMe on it to another Windows98SE, and I wound up with a stuck screen resolution of 640x480 and a 4-bit color. I was wondering if anyone could help me to correct this problem?

@WangoTango ... please describe all the steps exactly as you did them thus far in detail. Describe what you want to accomplish. More hardware details are needed (drives, mobos), software (OS before/after). I re-read your post a bunch of times and can not make heads or tails out of it.

P.S. Nugent kicks arse!

1. Took the bigger hard drive out of a Windows Me computer

2. Took out the Hard drive in the Windows 98 computer and replaced it with the Windows Me one

3. Installed the Windows Me hard drive

Now I'm stuck between one Resolution & Color. I'm a little new at this but I think it might be because of the outdated Win98 graphics adapter? It was fine when I had 98 installed. Now I can't change it at all.

Edited by WangoTango

Most likely the WinME drive does not have the correct display drivers for the 98 PC. What make and model is each PC and what graphics card is in the Win98 unit now?

Most likely you'll have to download the proper display drivers for WinME and the display card your using. Win98 and WinME occasionally use the same display driver with certain graphics cards, including ones built into the motherboard. When you said you can't change it, did the OS just fail to find the correct one to install? If so, you could try installing the original hard drive as a slave and let WinME search the 98 drive for a driver. You might have to manually enter the locations of the files. Start with windows\inf and any subfolders.

Rick

you could try installing the original hard drive as a slave and let WinME search the 98 drive for a driver. You might have to manually enter the locations of the files. Start with windows\inf and any subfolders.

That did the trick. Thanks a lot :thumbup.