Small Business Server

I am not sure if this is the correct place for this question but...

I have an SBS current version standard installation and cannot give the users access to their desktops via RDP. The server is no problem. All the desktops have a different port number and the router is configured to allow access to those ports and pass the requests through to the fixed IP for each desktop.

Internally it is no problem all the desktops can be reached by RDP.

My thought was that this would be a router config issue but the server is connecting correctly and it will do so on any port I choose.

Any thoughts?

Peter

• 1 month later...

Not quite sure that I understand your problem Peter... The subject of this post is and what you wrote makes it all confusing I'm afraid... First of all you don't mention the version of the software which you're using, so I'll just assume that you're working with Windows Server 2003 Small Business Edition and Windows XP Professional. If I understand correctly, you can reach the server and all workstations internally via RDP without any problems, but when you want to reach them from the outside, for example from home, it fails. If this is the case, then your router is indeed the problem. Make sure that the workstations have fixed IP addresses. Your server should already have a fixed IP address. In your router, forward a port, for example 666, to the IP address of your server and as a port choose 4489. Now connect to your internet facing IP address using RDP, followed by the portnumber, for example: 123.123.123.123:666. It should work like this. Do this for every workstation as well. Make sure to use different ports on your router, so for example 667, 668, 669, 700, et cetera.

Check out Remote Web Workplace. It is a setting in the internet config wizard of SBS servers. If you configure that users can connect via http to the server and then from there login and pick their desktop ;)

Edited by eyeball