HP 4200c scanner and XP Pro

warezmine

I'm having a wierd promblem with my scanner. It's a HP 4200c. I had to upgrade from Win98se to XP to get the scanner to work. I installed the original scanner software in 98 and then upgraded to XP. Then I ran the XP patch for the scanner software. All per HP. Everything worked fine except it would only print 2 copies from the copy utility. Well, I was going to get around to addressing that prob, when I noticed the puter couldn't communicate with the scanner after a few weeks. All the software is still intact and I haven't switched USB ports or anything. I went through the troubleshooter, but as always it's useless. I did delete the Win98se cab files, but that would only effect reverting back to 98.

I never had any probs like this with the scanner in 98. As a last resort, can I partition the slave drive with 2gigs and install 98se with the original scanner software or would this have to go on the master drive? Thanks for any help

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/scanners/soft...j654mu.exe.html

If the full HP PrecisionScan software for your HP ScanJet scanner is not yet available, HP suggests using the Windows XP - WIA software driver that is built into your PC, until the HP PrecisionScan software for Windows XP is available for downloading or ordering from this web site.

Customers that have products that are not supported with the built-in WIA driver on the Windows XP operating system, or would prefer the full featured HP Software solution for Windows XP, may follow the steps listed here:

1.Disconnect the scanner from the PC if it is connected.

2.Download and install the latest version of the HP Scanning 3.Software for the scanner for Windows 2000 Pro.

4.Download and install the HP ScanJet scanner update for Windows XP from here

5.Reconnect the scanner to the PC and let it plug and play.

My suggestion is to do a clean install with Windows XP, then do the 2nd suggestion of HP which is to install the Windows 2000 software first then getting the XP patch after. Why? Upgrading from Windows 98 carries over a lot of useless junk and wrong settings that will mess up Windows XP.

I tried doing a clean install, but XP will not allow original software to install. The patches (there are two releases: 654 & 700)are just that...patches that have to installed on top of the original software. HP recommends using Win95, 98, ME to install the original scanner software, upgrading to XP, and installing the XP patch(es). Which I did and it worked fine for a while. At some point it stopped working. Now, when I try to access it, I get a faliure to communicate error. All the software is still intact.

There is no software for either XP or Win2000 for my scanner. The software has to be installed in Win 95, 98, or ME. Then upgrade to XP or Win2000. Then apply the patch. A clean install is not possible and still install software for the scanner. I'm beginning to loose my confidence in HP. I did reformat, installed the OEM bundle, (Win98se), then installed the scanner software. Ditched all the extra crap in the bundled software. Then upgraded to XP and applied the 654 patch. The scanner worked for a while. I don't understand why it quit.