Dial-up server help!

fbplayer

When i go to start-settings-control pannel-Add/remove-Windows set-up tab- Communications- Then check Dial-up server twice.... I get an error. It tells me to insert my windows 98 se disk. So i do and it will not copy the files from it..... I need those files badly. I guess what i am asking is.... is there an update that will add these .dlls and .sys or w.e files? If not were can i get those files.....

Files needed

pppmac.vxd

rasapi16.dll

rasapi32.dll

rnanp.dll

rnasmm.dll

rnathunk.dll

ranui.dll

smmscrpt.dll

smmsetup.dll

rnaapp.exe

rnaapp.hlp

cis.scp

pppmenu.scp

slip.scp

slipmenu.scp

AND MANY MORE I CANNOT LIST ALL CAUSE ITS GETTING WAY ANNOYING!

Thanks all for help!

Are you certain that you've pointed the dialog that comes up to the CD? Check the dialog box it may have the wrong drive listed. If you do have the proper drive, your CD is probably corrupted (scratched or damaged). You could borrow someone else's or possibly buy one from ebay.

When i go to start-settings-control pannel-Add/remove-Windows set-up tab- Communications- Then check Dial-up server twice.... I get an error. It tells me to insert my windows 98 se disk. So i do and it will not copy the files from it..... I need those files badly. I guess what i am asking is.... is there an update that will add these .dlls and .sys or w.e files? If not were can i get those files.....

pppmac.vxd

rasapi16.dll

rasapi32.dll

rnanp.dll

rnasmm.dll

rnathunk.dll

ranui.dll

smmscrpt.dll

smmsetup.dll

rnaapp.exe

rnaapp.hlp

cis.scp

pppmenu.scp

slip.scp

slipmenu.scp

AND MANY MORE I CANNOT LIST ALL CAUSE ITS GETTING WAY ANNOYING!

That list is very similar to the set of files installed by AOL 9.0 via their so-called \ACS directory which contains versions for Win98gold, Win98se and WinME. I have seen this clobber the DUN/PPP features and it can be a real pain. It seems to get called whenever a problem occurs in the sign-in screen. Was AOL ever installed on that computer?

From a Win98se setup point of view the file is RNA.INF that controls this and it is Precopy2.cab. But you did not mention if this is Win98/Win98se/WinME! It will matter. Assuming you have Win98se ...

I would create a folder on the HDD called \Win98se and copy the CDROM into that folder, remove the CDROM. You may already have a similar arrangement under \Windows\Options\Cabs but I am intending on not disturbing that just in case you (or someone else) has updated that structure. This will exist in parallel. Copying the CDROM to the HDD also eliminates the optical hardware as a source of errors with the added benefit of taking the slower device out of the Windows search path.

Now, export the current registry to a file (and save the .DAT files as well). If you don't understand this, STOP NOW. You need to ask questions. If you do understand, after you save your registry, run this patch ...

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\InstallLocationsMRU]
"a"="C:\\Win98se\\Win98\\"
;"b"="C:\\Windows\\Options\\Cabs\\"
;"c"="C:\\Windows\\Inf\\"
"MRUList"="a"
;"MRUList"="abc"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]
"SourcePath"="C:\\Win98se\\Win98\\"
;"SourcePath"="C:\\Windows\\Inf\\"
;"SourcePath"="C:\\Windows\\Options\\Cabs\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SysDM]
"SearchLocation"="C:\\Win98se\\Win98"
;"SearchLocation"="C:\\Windows\\Inf"
;"SearchLocation"="C:\\Windows\\Options\\Cabs"

That is how I correct INF problems in the Add/Remove Windows Setup tab, Device Manager and all INF dialog boxes. The next time you use the Windows Setup tab, de-select, then select the component, then click apply. It should then load the files from the localized CDROM. If not, there are likely bigger problems around. The next idea would be to extract the .inf from that CAB and brute force it (but we are getting to far ahead).

If this goes according to plan, your DUN will be re-installed to the Win98se RTM level (I think it was v1.3). You should now test it and see if this version works and solves your dial-up problem. Optionally you may want to upgrade it properly via the Microsoft update found somewhere on this MDGx webpage. Search that page for Windows 98 SE Dial-Up Networking (DUN) Upgrade v1.4.

NOTE: If you are not using Win98se and/or do not have the distribution CDROM you should skip doing any of these suggestions! This post would need to be re-written to accomodate Win98gold or WinME.